Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights The Schwarzschild Metric: Part 1, GPS Satellites - Comments

1. Dec 27, 2017 #1

RUTA

Science Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2017 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Just a little remark. It is Johannes Kepler, not Keplar.

4. Dec 27, 2017 #3

PeterDonis

Staff: Mentor

Nice Insight? I have one comment, though: it might be worth mentioning that in the calculation of ##\Delta \tau_R## (for the Earth observer), you are assuming the Earth is non-rotating. That turns out to be OK for the particular calculation you are doing because the time dilation correction due to this is roughly two orders of magnitude smaller than the effects you compute; but rotation also introduces other complications, such as correctly defining clock synchronization, which can't be ignored (the excellent Ashby paper you refer to goes into all this).

5. Dec 27, 2017 #4

RUTA

Science Advisor

Haha, thnx, I fixed that!

6. Dec 27, 2017 #5

RUTA

Science Advisor

As an additional problem for my GR students, I have them add the ##-\frac{v^2}{c^2}## term to Eq(4) for the rotation of Earth and show that it’s of order ##10^{-12}## while the ##\frac{2M}{R}## term is of order ##10^{-9}##. I considered adding that equation to this Insight, since it’s just one more equation. Given your comment, I think I’ll do that :-)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted