The Schwarzschild Metric: Part 1, GPS Satellites - Comments

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
1,520
Reaction score
569
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

The Schwarzschild Metric: Part 1, GPS Satellites
gps1.png


Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.
 

Attachments

  • gps1.png
    gps1.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 945
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: MVanti, Paul Colby, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice Insight? I have one comment, though: it might be worth mentioning that in the calculation of ##\Delta \tau_R## (for the Earth observer), you are assuming the Earth is non-rotating. That turns out to be OK for the particular calculation you are doing because the time dilation correction due to this is roughly two orders of magnitude smaller than the effects you compute; but rotation also introduces other complications, such as correctly defining clock synchronization, which can't be ignored (the excellent Ashby paper you refer to goes into all this).
 
PeterDonis said:
Nice Insight? I have one comment, though: it might be worth mentioning that in the calculation of ##\Delta \tau_R## (for the Earth observer), you are assuming the Earth is non-rotating. That turns out to be OK for the particular calculation you are doing because the time dilation correction due to this is roughly two orders of magnitude smaller than the effects you compute; but rotation also introduces other complications, such as correctly defining clock synchronization, which can't be ignored (the excellent Ashby paper you refer to goes into all this).

As an additional problem for my GR students, I have them add the ##-\frac{v^2}{c^2}## term to Eq(4) for the rotation of Earth and show that it’s of order ##10^{-12}## while the ##\frac{2M}{R}## term is of order ##10^{-9}##. I considered adding that equation to this Insight, since it’s just one more equation. Given your comment, I think I’ll do that :-)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt