1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B The Sense of Restoring Force in Vibrations

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    I would like to ask about the sense of the restoring force in mechanical vibrations. IMG_1473.JPG

Comment 2 says that resultant force is opposite the motion but I have some hesitations about it because let's think the situation that mass is moving back upward to its equilibrium position. In this case the sense of the force is to its equilibrium point and acceleration is also to its equilibrium point. Because when the mass moves downward and when the velocity of mass come to zero because of the spring force, this time mass will start to move in the sense of the spring force.

Would you like to explain it?

Source: Engineering Mechanics by Joseph E. Shelley

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

You are correct. The sense of the force is opposite to the displacement, not opposite to the velocity. I assume that "motion" means velocity, as usual.

4. Jan 15, 2017 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Agreed. This is poorly worded, IMHO, on the part of the author.

The phrase (also in Comment 2) that a negative acceleration means a decreasing velocity, therefore the mass is slowing down, is just wrong. If the velocity happens to be negative, a negative acceleration would mean the mass is speeding up. (The phrase "decreasing velocity" seems ambiguous: does it mean a decreasing magnitude, or a change toward more negative values? The author seems to have confused these two meanings.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted