1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The set of 1-1 Mapping of S Onto itself

1. Jan 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was reading my text book and i encountered this....--->>

" For instance if f,g,h are in A(S) and fg = fh then g=h " I understand this part... because we can take the the inverse of f both sides and say g=h.

then it says--->> " If gf = f^(-1)g but since f ≠ f^(-1) we cannot cancel the g here"

SO MY QUESTION IS
    IF gf = f^(-1)g then ....why can't we take inverse of g both sides and show f = f^(-1) and say f = f^(-1) and g = g.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Note that for functions it is NOT true that fg=gf in general.

This is very easy to see. Let [itex]f(x)=x+1[/itex] and let [itex]g(x)=x^3[/itex].

Then [itex]fg(x)=x^3+1[/itex] and [itex]gf(x)=(x+1)^3[/itex]. These are not equal.

Now, back to your question. Let's assume that [itex]gf=f^{-1}g[/itex]. If we take [itex]g^{-1}[/itex] of both sides, then we end up with

[tex]g^{-1}gf=g^{-1}f^{-1}g[/tex]

The left side is equal to f, no problem. But we can do nothing with the right side. Indeed, we can't just switch [itex]g^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]f^{-1}[/itex]!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook