"The Shape of Inner Space", Shing-Tung Yau, preview or $.47

In summary, a conversation about searching for spinor information on Google Books and finding a good source on Calabi-Yau manifolds via a preview link and a used book on Amazon for $0.47 plus shipping. It was later realized that the book was already owned. The post also mentions the inability to edit post titles and the possibility for Gold members or mentors to do so upon request.

Spinnor

Gold Member
Searching for spinor info on Google books came up with some good basic reading on Calabi-Yau manifolds via the preview at,

https://books.google.com/books?id=6N6j9dBlh-0C&pg=PA131&dq=what is a spinor&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9GKsVLGQEqKCsQTt14KADA&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAjgo#v=onepage&q=what is a spinor&f=false

For sale at Amazon used for $.47 + shipping,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z9JMOS/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Reading for free on Google when I realized its on my shelf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Actually its $0.47 + $3.99 for shipping = $4.46

You are right, I can't edit my post title can I?

No but I think Gold members can or mentors if requested.

1. What is "The Shape of Inner Space" about?

"The Shape of Inner Space" is a book written by Shing-Tung Yau, a renowned mathematician, and Steve Nadis, a science writer. The book explores the concept of shape in modern physics and mathematics, specifically focusing on the idea of "inner space" and how it relates to string theory and the search for a unified theory of everything.

2. Who is Shing-Tung Yau?

Shing-Tung Yau is a Chinese-American mathematician who is best known for his work in differential geometry and the development of the Calabi-Yau manifold, which plays a significant role in string theory. He is currently a professor at Harvard University and is considered one of the greatest living mathematicians.

3. What is the significance of the Calabi-Yau manifold?

The Calabi-Yau manifold is a complex mathematical object that has been studied extensively in the field of string theory. It is believed to hold the key to understanding the hidden dimensions of our universe and could potentially provide a unified theory of everything. Yau's work on this manifold has had a profound impact on modern mathematics and physics.

4. What can I expect to learn from this book?

"The Shape of Inner Space" offers a fascinating and accessible exploration of some of the most complex and mind-bending concepts in modern physics and mathematics. Readers will gain a deeper understanding of string theory, the search for a unified theory, and the role of shape in the universe. The book also delves into Yau's personal journey as a mathematician and his collaborations with other renowned scientists.

5. Is this book suitable for non-scientists?

While the subject matter may be complex, "The Shape of Inner Space" is written in a way that is accessible to readers of all backgrounds. The authors use analogies and real-life examples to explain difficult concepts and make the book engaging and understandable for non-scientists. Anyone with an interest in physics, mathematics, or the search for a unified theory will find this book informative and thought-provoking.

Suggested for: "The Shape of Inner Space", Shing-Tung Yau, preview or $.47

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies