How do I state 2nd law of thermodynamics for an open system

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Tyto alba
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Ecosystems are open systems, they receive solar energy and other materials from outside the ecosystem and migration of animals is also witnessed.

I read Physics uptil class XII and have done a bit of research on google books and have come across these three books:

1.Towards a Thermodynamic Theory for Ecological Systems, pg-41

2.Thermodynamics of Non-Equilibrium Processes for Chemists, pg-9

3.Ecosystem Ecology, pg-35

P.S. I couldn't come up with anything statement.
I'm not sure if I posted on the right sub-forum. Let me know if this is suitable to other sub-forums and tell me why do you think so.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can set up bilance equations for energy entropy etc. The one for entropy contains both transport terms (e.g. when an animal enters or leaves your system) which can be positive and negative and entropy production terms which can only be positive, due to the second law.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dextercioby and Chestermiller
Demystifier said:
There is neither 2nd law nor 1st law for an open system.
This is not correct.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ORF
Demystifier said:
There is neither 2nd law nor 1st law for an open system.

Of course there is- usually written as balance equations.
 
SanjuktaGhosh said:
Ecosystems are open systems, they receive solar energy and other materials from outside the ecosystem and migration of animals is also witnessed.

I read Physics uptil class XII and have done a bit of research on google books and have come across these three books:

1.Towards a Thermodynamic Theory for Ecological Systems, pg-41

2.Thermodynamics of Non-Equilibrium Processes for Chemists, pg-9

3.Ecosystem Ecology, pg-35

P.S. I couldn't come up with anything statement.
I'm not sure if I posted on the right sub-forum. Let me know if this is suitable to other sub-forums and tell me why do you think so.

As DrDu mentioned, there are balance equations that can be written down, a crude version for entropy is here:

http://www.learnthermo.com/T1-tutorial/ch08/lesson-B/pg04.php
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier and Tyto alba