Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The + sign above the photodiode, what does it mean?

1. May 9, 2008 #1

cks

I don't really have much knowledge of electronics and kindly seek your helps.

The + sign above the photodiode, what does it mean?

Does it mean I have to connect the cathode to the ground??

Then, about the direction of the current, why does the current flow from cathode to anode? I mean isn't it the current should flow from cathode to anode?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

A photodiode is used in reverse bias mode. Light hitting the junction generates a reverse photcurrent, which the circuit is converting to a voltage (the photocurrent flows through the feedback resistor to get converted to a voltage V=IR by the opamp.

I typically connect the cathode of the photodiode to the - input of the opamp, and connect the anode of the diode to a negative supply, but the configuration shown in your circuit should work as well.

Quiz question -- the higher the reverse bias on the photodiode, the faster the response of the circuit to light. Why is that?

4. May 10, 2008 #3

cks

Thank you very much berkeman.

I now know that the + sign is to connect to the ground.

Answer to quiz question:
    because when the reverse bias is increased, the width of the junction increases, allowing more photocurrents to be generated, which results in faster response.

5. May 10, 2008 #4

cks

I'm currently working on a project. My knowledge about semiconductor is zero. During this whole week, I studied semiconductor from the basic principle. I studied op amp, photodiode, but there are too many terminologies which make me to learn very slowly. I didn't know what is every negative feedback. :) but now, i know already.

Umm,, thanks again Berkeman.

6. May 11, 2008 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Close. The wider junction width lowers the junction capacitance, which provides wider bandwidth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?