1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The size of the orbits of a finite normal subgroup

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let H be a finite subgroup of a group G. Verify that the formula (h,h')(x)=hxh'-1 defines an action of H x H on G. Prove that H is a normal subgroup of G if and only if every orbit of this action contains precisely |H| points.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved the first part of the question:
    [tex]\left(\left(h,h'\right)\left(k,k'\right)\right)\left(x\right)=\left(hk,h'k'\right)\left(x\right)=hkx\left(h'k'\right)^{-1}=hkxk'^{-1}h'^{-1}=\left(h,h'\right)\left(\left(k,k'\right)\left(x\right)\right)[/tex]
    This shows that the formula is a group homomorphism from H x H to G, and therefore it defines an action. But for the second part of the question I need a hint.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2
    You may have omitted it intentionally because it's simple, but if not remember also to check (1,1)x = x to confirm that we have a group action.

The orbit of g is HgH.

If H is normal, then [itex]HgH = g^{-1}HH=g^{-1}H[/itex].

In general we have [itex]gH \subseteq HgH[/itex] and [itex]Hg \subseteq HgH [/itex]. Now if [itex]|HgH| = |H| = |gH| = |Hg|[/itex] can you conclude gH=HgH=Hg?

4. Jan 7, 2010 #3
    I understand the line of reasoning, only one point is unclear to me. You say that [itex]HgH = g^{-1}HH=g^{-1}H[/itex]. But shouldn't this be [itex]HgH = gHH=gH[/itex]? Because for a normal subgroup H gH=Hg for all g in G?

5. Jan 7, 2010 #4
    Yes you're right.

6. Jan 7, 2010 #5
    Thanks!! Then I understand :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?