1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The sound of a perfect square wave

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1
    Hey guys,

It is stated that a 100% perfect square shaped wave have infinite odd harmonics and it is impossible to produced theoretically. But, assuming if a perfect square wave is produced, what would it sound like? I remember someone said it in Youtube it would actually sound like a clarinet instead sounding harsh and buzzy.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's a common alarm tone, and you can hear one yourself on the Wikipedia article on square waves.

4. Feb 18, 2015 #3

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Human ears can't hear anything above about 20 kHz*, so you couldn't hear the difference between a "perfect" square wave and one with harmonics above 20 kHz removed.

*That's for healthy young ears. The limit could be much lower for older ears.

5. Feb 18, 2015 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

In addition to the limitation of human hearing, wouldn't the air also limit the ramp rates on something close to a generated square wave?

6. Feb 18, 2015 #5
    One fun thing you can try if you have access to Mathematica is to find the Fourier series for a square wave and then use the 'Play' function. You can add successive harmonics and try each one and then experience it for yourself.

7. Feb 20, 2015 #6
    Thanks for the response. But recently I hear people saying that ultrasound can be heard if it is fed directly to the skull, I think it doesn't sound like any of the musical notes for example, the highest note of the piano. I think it sounds weird and unique. Thoughts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook