The source of gravitational red shift

In summary, the website discusses the concept of gravitational red-shift and its connection to the local position invariance of the Einstein Equivalence Principle. This means that the observed red-shift is a result of proper acceleration, whether it occurs in a gravitational field or in deep space. This concept was demonstrated in the Mossbauer Effect experiment at Harvard in 1959.
Zman
On the following website;

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/Walsworth/Activities/Atomic%20clock/old_atomicclock.html"

I read that;

The gravitational red-shift is a consequence of the local position invariance of the Einstein Equivalence Principle.

I know what gravitational red shift is and I understand the principle of Local Position Invariance but I don’t understand why gravitational red shift is a consequence of Local Position Invariance.

Can somebody enlighten me on this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zman said:
On the following website;

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/Walsworth/Activities/Atomic%20clock/old_atomicclock.html"

I read that;

The gravitational red-shift is a consequence of the local position invariance of the Einstein Equivalence Principle.

I know what gravitational red shift is and I understand the principle of Local Position Invariance but I don’t understand why gravitational red shift is a consequence of Local Position Invariance.

Can somebody enlighten me on this issue?

It just means that, in Einstein's elevator for example, a detector at the "top" will measure a redshift compared to a detector at the "bottom" from a source at the "bottom", if the elevator is accelerated "upward". And according to the Equivalence principle (local position invariance) it makes no difference whether the elevator is being accelerated in deep space or being accelerated in a gravitational field (at rest with the gravity source).

Gravitational redshift is a consequence of the proper acceleration, so if it's observed "at rest" in a gravitational field, then it's a consequence of local position invariance, since that's equivalent to accelerating in the absence of gravity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Al68 said:
It just means that, in Einstein's elevator for example, a detector at the "top" will measure a redshift compared to a detector at the "bottom" from a source at the "bottom", if the elevator is accelerated "upward". And according to the Equivalence principle (local position invariance) it makes no difference whether the elevator is being accelerated in deep space or being accelerated in a gravitational field (at rest with the gravity source).
What you describe is exactly the Mossbauer Effect experiment (Pound and Rebka) that was carried out in 1959 at Harvard http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v3/i9/p439_1
The photons gained energy (blue-shifted) as they fell from the roof to the basement of the physics building, and the experimenters had to move the source away from the detector at a constant velocity to red-shift them back.

Al68, thank you very much for your explanation. It is now clear to me what that phrase means.

1. What causes gravitational red shift?

Gravitational red shift is caused by the curvature of space-time near massive objects, such as stars or galaxies. This curvature results in a change in the wavelength of light, causing it to appear "red shifted" or shifted towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum.

2. How is gravitational red shift different from Doppler red shift?

Gravitational red shift is caused by the effects of gravity on light, while Doppler red shift is caused by relative motion between the source of light and the observer. Gravitational red shift can occur even when there is no relative motion between the source and observer, while Doppler red shift requires relative motion.

3. Can gravitational red shift be observed on Earth?

Yes, gravitational red shift can be observed on Earth. It has been observed in experiments using clocks and lasers, as well as in astronomical observations of light from distant stars and galaxies.

4. Does the strength of gravitational red shift depend on the mass of the object?

Yes, the strength of gravitational red shift is directly proportional to the mass of the object. The greater the mass of the object, the greater the curvature of space-time and therefore the greater the red shift.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding gravitational red shift?

Yes, understanding gravitational red shift is crucial for accurate measurements and predictions in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology. It also has practical applications in technologies such as GPS, where the effects of gravitational red shift must be taken into account for precise location tracking.