Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol?

1. Jun 2, 2014 #1
    Hey

I am a physics student, and not so familiar with chemistry. I have a huge problem, because I have to find the following 3 values for liquid isopropanol:

1. The specific heat capacity at constant volume
    2. The specific heat capacity at constant pressure
    3. Volumetric Isobaric Expansion Coefficient

You should think it would be easy enough, but now I have used hours on the web whitout luck. I can only find the specific heat capacity at constant pressure here: http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C67630&Mask=7#Thermo-Condensed

which gives results from 149 to 180 J/mol*K. Is there really so much uncertainty in obtaining these values? And how to find the rest of the values?

I really need help here

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried to ask librarians for help?

4. Jun 2, 2014 #3
    You mean, going to the university library? Can you just do that, I mean they are not experts on chemistry?

5. Jun 2, 2014 #4

Borek

Try them. If there is a chemistry dept at your university, for sure some of the librarians are trained to help the chemistry staff, and they will probably know of databases you have never heard of. Even if there is no chemistry dept, chances are they will be able to guide you in the right direction.

6. Jun 2, 2014 #5
    Okay, I will try to find out. I have never been at the chemistry department. So there is no easy way to find these values???

I can see that some other guys, for different liquids, have used http://www.hbcpnetbase.com/. Unfortunately it is password protected...

7. Jun 2, 2014 #6

Borek

Which is another reason to try the library - your school may have access to databases behind the paywall.

Actually - it has them for sure, that's what libraries are for. Question is whether they will have access to the database with the data you need. But you won't know till you ask.

8. Jun 2, 2014 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The great thing about librarians is they've been trained to find the books and other materials which will lead you to the information you seek.

9. Jun 3, 2014 #8
    OKay. I went to the libraby, and the gave the password and link to some website. Now I have found everything ecept the heat capacity at constant volume... do somebody know where to find this constant?

10. Jun 3, 2014 #9

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Glad to hear you got some use out of the library! I wonder sometimes if those institutions will one day cease to exist. :(

We use a computerized database for fluid properties. For isopropanol it gives 0.4606 Btu/lbm-F at 70F and 14.7 psia. If you'd like other values for other pressures & temperatures, let me know.

11. Jun 3, 2014 #10
    Thanks alot. I really appreciate yout help. Do you have the name of the computerized database?

12. Jun 3, 2014 #11

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm afraid it's a database that the company I work for created. It's very similar to REFPROP by NIST. Unfortunately, REFPROP doesn't have isopropanol. The list of fluids REFPROP has properties for is given in Appendix A of their user's guide. I don't know what else would work for you unfortunately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook