Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The static Killing vectors in Kruskal coordinates

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    Hello

In the Kruskal extension of the Schwarzschild metric, where the metric is now transformed into the new coordinates [tex](T,X,\theta,\phi)[/tex], the line element is

[tex]ds^2=-\frac{32M^3e^{-r/2m} }{r}(-dT^2+dX^2)+r^2(d\theta^2+\sin^2(\theta)d\phi^2),[/tex]

with

[tex]\left (r/2m-1 \right ) e^{r/2m}=X^2-T^2 [/tex] (1)
    and [tex]t/2m=2\tanh^{-1}(T/X).[/tex] (2)

From the equation (1) we see that [tex]\nabla_{\alpha}r=0[/tex] at [tex]X=T=0[/tex] and this is obvious. Okay, but we know that the static Killing field [tex]\xi^{\alpha}[/tex] becomes collinear with [tex]\nabla_{\alpha}r=0[/tex] thus requiring [tex]\xi^{\alpha}[/tex] to also vanish there. My question is that how is this possible? Looking at the static Killing vectors of the Schwarzschild metric in a general Cartesian-like coordinate system [tex]x^{\mu}[/tex],
    [tex]\xi^0=0[/tex] and [tex]{\xi}^{i}={\epsilon}^{{ik}}{x}^{k}[/tex]
    where
    [tex]\epsilon^{ik}=-\epsilon^{ki} =\left[ \begin {array}{ccc} 0&a&-b\\ \noalign{\medskip}-a&0&c
    \\ \noalign{\medskip}b&-c&0\end {array} \right], [/tex]

with [tex]a,b,c[/tex] being all arbitrary constants, how come the above requirement [tex](X=T=0)[/tex] gets all Killing vectors to vanish? My own view on the problem is that we must find the explicit expressions for [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]t[/tex] from (1) and (2), respectively, and then calculate the Killing vectors and put [tex]X=T=0.[/tex] Am I on the right track or what?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I haven't tried to read your post in detail.

I would use (1) and (2), and the chain rule for ordinary partial derivatives to calculate the static Killing vector field in Kruskal coordinates.

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    Would you mind going a little bit deep into details of the calculation!?

Thanks
    AB

5. Apr 15, 2010 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In Schwarzschild coordinates, the static Killing vector is [itex]\partial/\partial t[/itex], and

[tex]
    \frac{\partial}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} \frac{\partial}{\partial T} + \frac{\partial X}{\partial t} \frac{\partial}{\partial X},
    [/tex]

so the components of Killing vector [itex]\partial/\partial t[/itex] with respect to the [itex]\left\{ T, X, \theta, \phi \right\}[/itex] coordinates are

[tex]
    \left\{ \frac{\partial T}{\partial t}, \frac{\partial X}{\partial t}, 0, 0 \right\}.
    [/tex]

Differentiating (1) and (2) with respect to [itex]t[/itex] gives two linear equations in the two non-zero components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook