The Stefan-Boltzmann Law on Pure Proton Plasma

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Stefan-Boltzmann law to a pure proton plasma and whether it would lose energy according to the fourth power of its temperature. While the law is typically applied to objects containing electrons, it is possible for a pure proton plasma to also lose energy through other processes. The use of a Penning Trap can help confine a non-neutral plasma for long periods of time, but energy must be supplied to compensate for losses. It is also noted that there is nothing special about electrons in terms of radiation, as any charged component can emit energy according to the fourth power of its temperature.
quantumfoam
Hi guys. I had a question concerning a pure proton plasma with a given temperature and its loss of energy due to the Stefan-Boltzmann law. From my understanding, the Stefan-Boltzmann law applies to objects that contain electrons. I don't think that's true but I would like to know if it is. If true, then does the Stefan-Boltzmann law not apply to plasma composed purely of protons?

Physics news on Phys.org
How would such a plasma be stable at all (long enough to assign a temperature to it)? I would expect a Coulomb explosion.

I've read that non-neutral plasmas are actually easier to confine. They can be confined for long periods of time using a Penning Trap. I am guessing that they supply energy to the plasma to compensate for losses. However, does the plasma lose energy due to the Stefan-Boltzmann law? I am aware of losses due to collisions and what not but I am interested in whether they lose energy according the the fourth power of their temperature.

A penning trap is great to capture a few charged particles with few interactions between them and negligible total charge.
quantumfoam said:
I am guessing that they supply energy to the plasma to compensate for losses.
Usually, cooling is a nice feature.

I would expect to see the 4th power there as well, but as the plasma is thin the prefactor will be different.

If it were possible to trap a large number of charged particles, would the resulting mass of proton plasma lose power according to the Stefan-Boltzmann law? You said you would expect to see it, right? I always thought that an object couldn't emit blackbody radiation unless it had oscillators such as electrons. Correct me if I am wrong to assume that please.

I assumed the Stefan-Boltzmann (SB) law only applied to objects that had electrons since the SB law can be derived from Planck's law, which itself was derived on the assumption that the blackbody has oscillators. Since there are no electrons to oscillate around the protons in a pure proton plasma, wouldn't the plasma follow energy losses due to other processes and not due to the SB law?

The object needs charged components. Protons or other nuclei are charged components.
There is nothing special about electrons, they are just lighter and therefore easier to accelerate.

So the protons composing the plasma would oscillate to give off energy according to the fourth power of their temperature as well?

They would certainly radiate, and I would be surprised if it is not the fourth power.

Thank you for your time, mfb (:

1. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law is a physical law that relates the temperature and energy radiated by a blackbody, which is an object that absorbs and emits all radiation that falls onto it. It states that the total energy emitted per unit surface area of a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

2. What is a pure proton plasma?

A pure proton plasma is a state of matter where a gas or liquid is made up entirely of protons, which are positively charged subatomic particles found in the nucleus of an atom. This type of plasma is often found in high-energy environments, such as the core of the sun or in particle accelerators.

3. How does the Stefan-Boltzmann Law apply to pure proton plasma?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law can be applied to pure proton plasma by using the temperature and energy radiated by the protons to calculate the total energy emitted per unit surface area. This can help scientists understand the behavior and properties of pure proton plasma in different environments.

4. What are some practical applications of the Stefan-Boltzmann Law on pure proton plasma?

Some practical applications of the Stefan-Boltzmann Law on pure proton plasma include studying the temperature and energy of the plasma in the core of the sun, which can help us understand its processes and behavior. It can also be used in the design and optimization of particle accelerators, which rely on the properties of pure proton plasma.

5. Are there any limitations to the Stefan-Boltzmann Law on pure proton plasma?

Yes, there are limitations to the Stefan-Boltzmann Law on pure proton plasma. The law assumes that the plasma is in thermal equilibrium, meaning that the temperature is the same throughout the plasma. This may not always be the case in real-world scenarios, so the law may not accurately predict the behavior of pure proton plasma in these situations.