Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The sun's gravitational pull on the earth

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    if the sun was to vanish, what would happen to the earth. I've been told that the earth would still rotate around as if there was a sun, was atleast 8 minutes because thats the time it take for the sun's light to reach the earth. Since nothing is faster than the speed of light, the earth will stay in orbit. is that statement true or is there a better way of explaining it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2
    I think that might be true, of course there would be no way to tell that the sun had vanished before those 8 minutes were up, and besides, stars don't just vanish like that.

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

True, it's an impossible situation. Gravity does travel at the speed of light, though, so any disturbance in the sun's field would take 8 minutes to be noticed here.

5. Oct 19, 2006 #4
    so gravity does have a speed?

6. Oct 19, 2006 #5
    In Genreal Realtivity the speed of light is also the speed of gravity

7. Oct 20, 2006 #6

Labguy

Science Advisor

Which is exactly what became several L-O-N-G threads on the General Astronomy forum. Check over there for about all the opinions and questions you would ever want to read....:smile:

8. Oct 20, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks. I knew there was at least one around somewhere, but I couldn't remember where.

9. Oct 20, 2006 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is very subtle stuff.

10. Oct 20, 2006 #9

Labguy

Science Advisor

Try putting an F-18 down on a rolling Carrier...:biggrin:

11. Oct 20, 2006 #10

Danger

Gold Member

No thanks; I get seasick. :biggrin:

12. Oct 21, 2006 #11
    May I add that the Earth would be squished by the tidal forces at around the 8 minute mark.

13. Oct 21, 2006 #12

Danger

Gold Member

You lost me on that one. If there is no gravitational source, there are no tidal forces.
    By the bye, it's nice to see someone finally spell our country properly. :biggrin:

14. Oct 22, 2006 #13

Labguy

Science Advisor

Not squished necessarily, but total disaster. As of now, the Earth is "compressed" by tidal forces between Sun and Moon in a vectored direction.

If the Sun's gravity were to "let go" 499 seconds (mean) after the Sun disappeared, the tidal forces would be instantly gone and the Earth's crust, et. al. would "spring out" and tear the hell out of about everything..:yuck:

15. Oct 22, 2006 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Hmmm... I don't even know whether that would fall under astronomy or planetology or what, but it completely escaped my home-made education. I would have expected the opposite effect, as in the compressive force of gravity no longer being counteracted by tidal force, but with the rotation still keeping the planet 'expanded'. At most, I figured that there would be a slight inward settling of the crust (still devestating to civilization, of course).
    Thanks for the tune-in.

16. Oct 22, 2006 #15

Labguy

Science Advisor

That's about all I really meant.

17. Oct 22, 2006 #16

LURCH

Science Advisor

But would this cause the Earth's crust to move any more than it does on a daily basis? Tidal forces compress and extend the crust once for each planetary revoltion, don't they?

18. Oct 22, 2006 #17

Labguy

Science Advisor

Yes, but slowly, not instantly..:eek:

19. Oct 23, 2006 #18

rbj

so think of [itex] c [/itex] as not simply the "speed of light" or the "speed of electromagnetic propagation" (which is where it came from originally), but as the speed of propagation of all things "instantaneous".

whether you and your signalling partner are each holding an electric charge (and you're wiggling them back and forth to signal the other) or you and your signalling partner are holding planets and wiggling them around to send "gravity signals", any instantaneous action from whatever source moves at a speed of [itex] c [/itex].

20. Oct 23, 2006 #19
    would we even feel the "release" i mean as it is we are falling anyway. If there is no gravity we just feel like we are falling. So if we get released i don't think the earth would react in any significant and disasterous way.

21. Oct 23, 2006 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Correct. It is a little bit of a tricky thing: when you are in orbit, you are falling towards the object you are orbiting and feel nothing. If the object blinks out of existence, you no longer orbit and you feel no forces pulling you toward something that doesn't exist. So you'd notice no change in the forces on you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?