The theory of ones self being dropped as a cat from a three storey window

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter inequitude
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Self Theory Window
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
inequitude
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Dear Physics gurus- I have a question which I believe will be rather simple for one of your to help explain to me.

Not coming from much of a scientific background, I’m looking for a conclusive technical explanation of the following question which I debated at some great length with my housemate last night. As the cider took control of our minds, the passion of our arguments increased to the point where we both agreed to disagree, because neither of us could articulate our point in such a conclusive manner as to persuade the other. Needless to say, I know I’m correct.

The question posed was thus: If I was to be held out of a three storey window with one housemate holding my legs, and the other holding my arms, with my back facing the ground, to then be released without warning, would it be physically possible for me to rotate 180 degrees before hitting the ground, mocking the landing of a cat at seemingly any height. What are the mitigating circumstances one must take into account and is there a technical, physics based, explanation which can be made of this?

May the force be with you, or whatever it is you guys say to each other.
Chris.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert, but I believe the answer is yes.
I think forceful movement of the arms and legs in free-fall can cause an inversion.
Not sure though.
 
By conserving angular momentum you should be able to do it.
 
Theoretically possible, but not in a cat-like manner. Cats have 2 more vertebrae than humans, plus that honking huge counterbalance tail. They also have no fear of heights, which can be a serious impediment to a human. This is not a scientific exploration of the situation; merely my initial take of it.