• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

The time average potential of neutral hydrogen atom

Homework Statement

[/B]
The time-averaged potential of a neutral hydrogen atom is given by

latex.png

where q is the magnitude of the electronic charge, and
latex.png
being the Bohr radius. Find the distribution of charge( both continuous and discrete) that will give this potential and interpret your result physically.

Homework Equations

[/B]
latex.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
latex.png

latex.png
since
latex.png
and
latex.png

from product rule

latex.png

latex.png

now I'm stuck here no idea how to handle first term.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Ok I think I figure it out.

lets take derivative one term at a time using product rule

[itex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[r^{2}e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)\right]=\frac{1}{r^{2}}\left[2re^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)+r^{2}\left(-\alpha\right)e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)+r^{2}e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial r^{2}}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)\right][/itex]

putting [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)=-\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}\left[2re^{-\alpha r}\left(-\frac{1}{r^{2}}\right)+r^{2}\left(-\alpha\right)e^{-\alpha r}\left(-\frac{1}{r^{2}}\right)+r^{2}e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial r^{2}}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)\right]=\frac{1}{r^{2}}\left[-2e^{-\alpha r}\frac{1}{r}+\alpha e^{-\alpha r}+r^{2}e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial r^{2}}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)\right][/itex]

[itex]=-2e^{-\alpha r}\frac{1}{r^{3}}+\alpha e^{-\alpha r}\frac{1}{r^{2}}+e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial r^{2}}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)[/itex]

Last edited:
DEvens
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Is it exp(alpha r) or exp(- alpha r) ?

I have not checked your algebra. But you stopped with there still being a derivative. You are not done.