1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The time average potential of neutral hydrogen atom

1. Jan 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The time-averaged potential of a neutral hydrogen atom is given by

latex.png

where q is the magnitude of the electronic charge, and latex.png being the Bohr radius. Find the distribution of charge( both continuous and discrete) that will give this potential and interpret your result physically.

2. Relevant equations

latex.png

3. The attempt at a solution

latex.png

latex.png since latex.png and latex.png

from product rule

latex.png

latex.png

now I'm stuck here no idea how to handle first term.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2015 #2
    Ok I think I figure it out.

lets take derivative one term at a time using product rule

[itex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[r^{2}e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)\right]=\frac{1}{r^{2}}\left[2re^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)+r^{2}\left(-\alpha\right)e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)+r^{2}e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial r^{2}}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)\right][/itex]

putting [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)=-\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}\left[2re^{-\alpha r}\left(-\frac{1}{r^{2}}\right)+r^{2}\left(-\alpha\right)e^{-\alpha r}\left(-\frac{1}{r^{2}}\right)+r^{2}e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial r^{2}}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)\right]=\frac{1}{r^{2}}\left[-2e^{-\alpha r}\frac{1}{r}+\alpha e^{-\alpha r}+r^{2}e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial r^{2}}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)\right][/itex]

[itex]=-2e^{-\alpha r}\frac{1}{r^{3}}+\alpha e^{-\alpha r}\frac{1}{r^{2}}+e^{-\alpha r}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial r^{2}}\left(\frac{1}{r}\right)[/itex]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  4. Jan 23, 2015 #3

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it exp(alpha r) or exp(- alpha r) ?

I have not checked your algebra. But you stopped with there still being a derivative. You are not done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted