The time before sentient beings

• Thread starter graffix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave collapse and how it relates to the existence of sentient beings. One question is raised about how the waves collapsed before the existence of sentient beings on Earth, and another question is posed about the possibility of a universe like ours existing without any life forms. The conversation also mentions related theories such as sum over histories. The conversation ends with a question about the role of sentience in wave collapse.
graffix
I'll probably end up sounding like a retard but here is my question.

If particles are only tendicies (wabbling in/as waves) until a measurement has been made (wave collapse/position determined), how did the their waves collapse back when there were no sentient beings alive (before Earth was formed)?

and another question.

Say there is another universe just like ours, but during all its life, no life ever got created. Would it never exist since, its waves will never collapse?

Thanks! I am a person very interested in this stuff but I do confess I only know only a little bit more than the basics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeh the whole 'wave form collapses when view' thing ****s me no end. It has raised questions about a cosmic big brother that caused us all to exist, though I am not sure i buy it.

the surrounding theories like sum over histories and stuff is quite interesting though

What does Sentient have to do with wave form collapse??
It collapses when it interacts with something.
Now if that something that it interacts with kicks off a photo multiplier effect inside a detector that can translate that to a printout you can read. Why (and how) would the collapse wait for you to come around to read it before it collapses, just because you’re sentient?

FAQ: The time before sentient beings

What is meant by "the time before sentient beings"?

The time before sentient beings refers to the period of Earth's history before the existence of living organisms with consciousness and the ability to think and feel.

When did the time before sentient beings occur?

The time before sentient beings occurred approximately 4.6 billion years ago, when Earth was formed.

What was the environment like during the time before sentient beings?

The environment during this time was very different from what it is now. Earth's atmosphere was primarily composed of carbon dioxide and methane, and the surface was constantly bombarded by meteorites and volcanic activity.

How do scientists know about the time before sentient beings?

Scientists use various methods, such as radiometric dating and fossil records, to study and understand the Earth's history and the evolution of life on the planet. They also use data from space missions and geological studies to gather information about the early environment of Earth.

Did any forms of life exist during the time before sentient beings?

It is believed that simple forms of life, such as single-celled organisms, may have existed during this time. However, there is no concrete evidence to support this theory, and it is still a topic of debate among scientists.