Finding time of a proton travelling in an electric field?

In summary, the conversation involves finding the time it would take for a free moving proton to travel from a positive plate to a negatively charged plate in an electric field with a distance of 4.5x10-3 metres and a charge of 200N/C. The solution involves solving for voltage, coulombs, Newtons, joules and using the equation F = qE = ma to find the acceleration of the proton. Finally, the time is calculated using a kinematic equation, resulting in a time of approximately 5.775x10-10s.
newtonsapple
1. There is an electric field with two plates, one positive one negative, having a distance of 4.5x10-3 metres apart producing a charge of 200N/C. How long would it take a free moving proton to travel from the positive plate to the negatively charged plate?

2. ?

3. I solved for voltage, coulombs, Newtons, joules.. I just can't think of an equation for getting time. There are several for power, I just need either amperes, or ohms. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Force on a proton in an electric field is F = qE = ma.
Find acceleration of the proton.
Using kinematic equation find the time it takes to travel a certain distance assuming that proton starts from rest.

sweet dude, thanks a lot for your help! I solved the bad boy right away. :approve: I forgot that a proton has a constant mass too. duh. :redface: I got aprox. 5.775x10-10s. :uhh: I think that sounds about right...

1. How does an electric field affect the time it takes for a proton to travel?

The electric field can accelerate or decelerate a proton, depending on its direction and strength. This can affect the time it takes for the proton to reach a certain distance.

2. What factors influence the time it takes for a proton to travel in an electric field?

The strength of the electric field, the initial velocity of the proton, and the distance it needs to travel are all factors that can influence the time it takes for a proton to travel in an electric field.

3. Can the time of a proton traveling in an electric field be accurately measured?

Yes, with the use of precise instruments and calculations, the time of a proton traveling in an electric field can be accurately measured. However, there may be some margin of error due to external factors such as air resistance.

4. How does the mass of a proton affect its travel time in an electric field?

The mass of a proton has a negligible effect on its travel time in an electric field. This is because the electric field exerts a force on the proton, and the acceleration of the proton is independent of its mass.

5. Is there a maximum speed that a proton can reach in an electric field?

Yes, there is a maximum speed that a proton can reach in an electric field. This is determined by the strength of the electric field and the initial velocity of the proton. Once the proton reaches this maximum speed, it will continue to travel at a constant velocity.