1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding time of a proton travelling in an electric field?

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    1. There is an electric field with two plates, one positive one negative, having a distance of 4.5x10-3 metres apart producing a charge of 200N/C. How long would it take a free moving proton to travel from the positive plate to the negatively charged plate?

2. ?

3. I solved for voltage, coulombs, newtons, joules.. I just can't think of an equation for getting time. There are several for power, I just need either amperes, or ohms. thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Force on a proton in an electric field is F = qE = ma.
    Find acceleration of the proton.
    Using kinematic equation find the time it takes to travel a certain distance assuming that proton starts from rest.

4. Mar 12, 2009 #3
    sweet dude, thanks a lot for your help! I solved the bad boy right away. :approve: I forgot that a proton has a constant mass too. duh. :redface: I got aprox. 5.775x10-10s. :uhh: I think that sounds about right.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook