1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The ultimate test! help an idiot learn calculus

1. Jan 14, 2014 #1

Fri

Hey I've been lurking on this forum all day trying to find answers / help to problems I can't solve in my calculus text. So I finally got the bright idea to make an account and ask questions :)

Although first I want to mention that I'm very rusty in math so I may need the special step by step for dummies aid :p

Ok I'm the beginning chapters of this textbook so this will mostly be easy stuff that I'm having trouble completing

The problem is:

Let S(x) = X^2, Let P(x) = 2^x, let s(x) = sin x. Find each of the following. In each case your answer should be a number.

these are the two parts I need help on

i) (S o P)(y)
    iii) (S o P o s)(t) + (s o P)(t)

For (S o P)(y) I know:

(S o P)(y) = S(P(y) = S(2^x(y)) = x^2(2^x(y)), but on the back of the book the answer is 2^2y I'm not sure how the author derived this answer. could someone maybe explain this and the otherone step by step so maybe I can under stand it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is S(z)? What do you get when you substitute z = P(y) into S(z)?

4. Jan 14, 2014 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

S(P(y) = (P(y))2 .

P(y) = 2y .

Combine those !

5. Jan 14, 2014 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The o in (S o P) signifies do operation S on P. S(x) = x^2 defines the operation S, It says square the thing (x, whatever x is) that S operates on. Whether that thing is a quantity, or another operation. S(x) = x^2, so S o P(y) is P(y)^2. (OK there is a trouble here, they are using two different notations for operations but you seem to have seen though that.)

Your S(P(y)) = S(2^x(y)) = x^2(2^x(y)) is wrong or confused – the operators are operating on something which does not contain x, so x should ever appear at any point in the calculation.

P(y)^2 is by rigid carrying over of the formula definition of P, (2^y)^2.
    To see how the result follows you may need to revise algebra of indices.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted