Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The uncertainty principle and electric field strength

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1
    As my knowledge of an electric field strength becomes more precise, what physical quantity becomes correspondingly less precisely known?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no (direct) analogue of the "uncertainy principle" in quantum field theory.

4. Dec 17, 2012 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

One can start with the Maxwell Lagrangian and show that there are three pairs of canonical conjugate field operators

[tex][A_i(x),E_k(y)] = i\,\delta_{ik}\,\delta^{(3)}(x-y)[/tex]

The problem is that we have a gauge theory, so there are unphysical d.o.f. which we have to eliminate; a first choice is the A°=0 gauge b/c for A° there's no E° due to the antisymmetry of the field strength tensor F and therefore ∂°A° is not present in F. Even then not all three i=1..3 are physical, we have to eliminate a second one to arrive at two physical polarizations.

Using Fourier decomposition one can introduce creation and annihilation operators for the fields; in terms of these operators it becomes clear that the canonically conjugate pair x,p is replaced by something like the Fourier modes of A and E, therefore one can derive an uncertainty principle for A(k) and E(k) where k is representing momentum space.

5. Dec 17, 2012 #4
    Thank you both. Good stuff. : )

6. Dec 18, 2012 #5
    Here A are operators,similarly in quantum field theory these exist these kinds of relation for bosons and also for fermions but that is rather anticommutation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook