Show that the functions are not equicontinuous

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: I'll go through the details myself and if I can't get it to work, I visit the thread again.Right. Okay. Thanks again for the help. The homework is due before midnight, so I'll tidy it up later. I'll go through the details myself and if I can't get it to work, I visit the thread again.In summary, the Ascoli-Arzela theorem is used to show that the functions fn(z) = zn in Δ(1)n = 1, 2,..., are not equicontinuous. This is because the family of functions is equicontinuous on an open ball of radius less than 1, but not on the boundary of the unit disk. This is demonstrated by taking
Shackleford

Homework Statement

[/B]
By using the Ascoli-Arzela theorem, show that the functions fn(z) = zn in Δ(1)n = 1, 2,..., are not equicontinuous.

Homework Equations

[/B]
A family F of complex-valued functions on A is called equicontinuous if ∀ε > 0, ∃δ > 0 such that |f(z) - f(w)| < ε, ∀z, w ∈ A with |z - w| < δ, ∀ f ∈ F.

Of course, the unit disk is the set {z : |z| < 1}

The Attempt at a Solution

There's actually a bar over the complex unit disk symbol. Is it the conjugate set? I'm not quite sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
By using the Ascoli-Arzela theorem, show that the functions fn(z) = zn in Δ(1)n = 1, 2,..., are not equicontinuous.

Homework Equations

[/B]
A family F of complex-valued functions on A is called equicontinuous if ∀ε > 0, ∃δ > 0 such that |f(z) - f(w)| < ε, ∀z, w ∈ A with |z - w| < δ, ∀ f ∈ F.

Of course, the unit disk is the set {z : |z| < 1}

The Attempt at a Solution

There's actually a bar over the complex unit disk symbol. Is it the conjugate set? I'm not quite sure.

I suspect the bar over the symbol means closure of the unit disk. I.e. {z:|z|<=1}. It's pretty easy to show that family of function is not equicontinuous directly. I don't think you really need Arzela-Ascoli to prove it. But think about what the limit looks like on the real interval [0,1].

Last edited:
Dick said:
I suspect the bar over the symbol means closure of the unit disk. I.e. {z:|z|<=1}. It's pretty easy to show that family of function is not equicontinuous directly. I don't think you really need Arzela-Ascoli to prove it. But think about what the limit looks like on the real interval [0,1].

Really? The closure? In another part, the professor used the bar to indicate the limit supremum of a subsequence in defining the radius of convergence. Okay. Let me take another look at it.

The closure of the unit disk would include the boundary and of course the unit disk itself is an open set. You mean the limn→∞zn where z ∈ [0,1]? Of course, it would tend to zero everywhere except at 1.

Shackleford said:
The closure of the unit disk would include the boundary and of course the unit disk itself is an open set. You mean the limn→∞zn where z ∈ [0,1]? Of course, it would tend to zero everywhere except at 1.

What does that tell you about equicontinuity? And I'm pretty sure it's really the closure because that family of functions is equicontinuous on the open ball. Tell me why.

Dick said:
What does that tell you about equicontinuity? And I'm pretty sure it's really the closure because that family of functions is equicontinuous on the open ball. Tell me why.

If you choose any of the interior points their limits satisfy the arbitrary closeness requirement, but if you select a boundary point and an interior point, they diverge. I think that's probably correct.

Shackleford said:
If you choose any of the interior points their limits satisfy the arbitrary closeness requirement, but if you select a boundary point and an interior point, they diverge. I think that's probably correct.

You should probably state that in a more precise way. And I retract my statement about the functions being equicontinuous on the open ball of radius 1. They are equicontinous on an open ball with radius less than 1.

Dick said:
You should probably state that in a more precise way. And I retract my statement about the functions being equicontinuous on the open ball of radius 1. They are equicontinous on an open ball with radius less than 1.

Right. Okay. Thanks again for the help. The homework is due before midnight, so I'll tidy it up later.

What is equicontinuity?

Equicontinuity is a property of a set of functions where all the functions in the set have the same rate of change at each point. In other words, if a set of functions is equicontinuous, their graphs will all have the same "smoothness" or "continuity" at every point.

Why is it important to show that functions are not equicontinuous?

It is important to show that functions are not equicontinuous because it can help determine the behavior of the functions and their relationship to each other. In some cases, equicontinuity may be a desirable property, while in others it may not be necessary or even possible.

How do you show that functions are not equicontinuous?

To show that functions are not equicontinuous, you must find a point where the rate of change of at least one function in the set is different from the others. This can be done by analyzing the derivatives of the functions or by finding points where the functions have different slopes or curves.

What are some common examples of functions that are not equicontinuous?

Some common examples of functions that are not equicontinuous include piecewise functions with discontinuous parts, functions with vertical asymptotes, and functions with sharp corners or cusps. These types of functions have different rates of change at certain points, making them not equicontinuous.

Can a set of continuous functions be equicontinuous?

Yes, a set of continuous functions can be equicontinuous. In fact, equicontinuity is often used as a criterion for determining whether a set of continuous functions is a "nice" or "well-behaved" set. However, not all continuous functions are equicontinuous, as some may have different rates of change at certain points.