1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The usage of "well"

1. Apr 14, 2017 #21
    If you start a new thread on the misuse of the English language we could have some fun.

BTW my Pol-Sci prof, a practicing lawyer, made a point to demonstrate the misuse of language to mislead and obfuscate for political purposes.

2. Apr 14, 2017 #22

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He brought the misuse to the class ( I guess his wife/gf )?

EDIT: I don't like 'essay'. If they ask for my essay, I reply, "I don't just have the essay, I _am_ the esse" ( you know, cheesy-movie gang talk);).

3. Apr 15, 2017 #23

OCR

Well, yes, of course he means "imply" ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldbiggrin:

I'm not fond of sentences that begin with the word "so".

Well, like, well you know, ... so im new hear, so i have this new theory, so ...

This hit the spot, though. [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :thumbup:

4. Apr 15, 2017 #24
    Well, like, you know, So?, It's cool, except fake news that's uncool.
    Unicorns will be denied, fake passengers must accumulate in the lower decks.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  5. Apr 15, 2017 #25
    I tend to take "Well ..." as a shorthand for "In light of the information we've just been discussing ..."

The way my peeps and I use it is to indicate a decision, conclusion, or summary type of assessment.

In other cases, it is simply a signal for a transition in thinking or the present discourse.

More appropriate for spoken communication or informal written communication that is substituting for speaking.

I wouldn't think it appropriate for most formal writing.

Well, now that I think of it, there are exceptions ...

6. Apr 16, 2017 #26

OCR

:ok:... I finally caught this...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] lol
    gleem has it right, though, misuse is the correct word...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :gradcap:

For your pun to work, gleem would have had to use the word missus... it was a pun, right ? [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :peacesign:

7. Apr 16, 2017 #27
    Another interjection which is quite popular in a response to a question by a politician and IMO more irritating that "well" is "look" easily interpreted as "What don't you get".

8. Apr 16, 2017 #28

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Well, that is a hole in the ground into which water collects. :oldbiggrin:

9. Apr 16, 2017 #29

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am writing a book on jokes that only work verbally but not in writing, sort of within the family of no-joke jokes, but not quite.

10. Apr 18, 2017 #30
    Thanks, that's a good read.

11. Apr 18, 2017 #31

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted