The use of torque and centripedal force

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of sustaining an object in mid-air using torque and centripetal force. It also mentions a YouTube explanation on the topic and the potential difficulties with using gyroscopes to levitate objects.
fredreload
So I was thinking, I remember a physics experience where you hold and spin the wheel on a stick, if you hold the left side of the stick, the right side would stay up because of torque. Now if you assume the force of torque to be going up to counteract gravity and the other side of the torque where you hold the stick with the centripetal force of going away from a circle, can you sustain an object in mid air?

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that you still have to support the weight of the wheel.

You might be interested in this explanation on YouTube:

which ,after you answer the poll, continues with:

Last edited:
That's where you transfer the centripetal force using torque into an upward force. I suppose I was really not getting how the other side of the wheel around the stick manages to stay up.

That is one cool video but there was not much explanation. This UFO citing and lack of sleep is getting to my head, I'll check the post tomorrow.

A centripetal force would make it move in a outward direction, so just centripetal force and a lowering angle would work.

Last edited:
Nevermind, you still need an upward force, thanks for the video.

Gyro produce torques rather than linear forces. If you try to make a machine that self levitates by using contra rotating gyros they tend to bend the machine rather than lift it.
precession_sm3.jpg

Last edited:

1. What is torque and how is it related to centripedal force?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force on an object. It is related to centripedal force because it is the force that causes an object to rotate around a central point, which is the definition of centripedal force.

2. How is torque and centripedal force used in everyday life?

Torque and centripedal force are used in many aspects of everyday life, such as riding a bike, driving a car, and even opening a door. These forces are required to keep objects in circular motion or to change the direction of an object's motion.

3. How do you calculate torque and centripedal force?

Torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Centripedal force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity squared, divided by the radius of the circular path it is following.

4. What are some real-world applications of torque and centripedal force?

Torque and centripedal force have a variety of real-world applications, including roller coasters, amusement park rides, and even the rotation of the Earth around the sun. They are also used in machinery and tools, such as drills and wrenches, to create rotational motion.

5. How do torque and centripedal force affect the stability of an object?

Torque and centripedal force both play a role in the stability of an object. Torque can cause an object to rotate or topple over, while centripedal force can keep an object in circular motion or cause it to move in a curved path. Understanding these forces is important in designing stable structures and vehicles.