Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The use of torque and centripedal force

1. Dec 26, 2014 #1
    So I was thinking, I remember a physics experience where you hold and spin the wheel on a stick, if you hold the left side of the stick, the right side would stay up because of torque. Now if you assume the force of torque to be going up to counteract gravity and the other side of the torque where you hold the stick with the centripetal force of going away from a circle, can you sustain an object in mid air?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Realize that you still have to support the weight of the wheel.

4. Dec 26, 2014 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You might be interested in this explanation on YouTube:

which ,after you answer the poll, continues with:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  5. Dec 26, 2014 #4
    That's where you transfer the centripetal force using torque into an upward force. I suppose I was really not getting how the other side of the wheel around the stick manages to stay up.

6. Dec 26, 2014 #5
    That is one cool video but there was not much explanation. This UFO citing and lack of sleep is getting to my head, I'll check the post tomorrow.

A centripetal force would make it move in a outward direction, so just centripetal force and a lowering angle would work.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  7. Dec 26, 2014 #6
    Nevermind, you still need an upward force, thanks for the video.

8. Dec 27, 2014 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gyro produce torques rather than linear forces. If you try to make a machine that self levitates by using contra rotating gyros they tend to bend the machine rather than lift it.
    precession_sm3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook