1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The value of electric current on a sinking conductor

1. May 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A flat capacitor formed by two square plates of side 0.3 m which are 2 mm apart. Source keeps voltage 250 V on the plates. What current flows between the plates and the source if the condenser is immersing in kerosene at velocity of 5 mm / s? The relative permittivity of kerosene is 2.

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is a pic
    7TQE70j.png

I=Q/t

Because of the fact that immersing cunductor can be understood as two parallel conductors the capacity of an immersed conductor (the depth x = v*t) is C =(ε0*(a-x)*a)/d + (ε0εr*a*x)/d

My question is how do I compute the time in the x = v*t? And sorry for my english.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The simple answer is you don't. Just assume you know it and hope it cancels out in the end.

4. May 15, 2016 #3
    But it doesn't cancel in the end because of the plus and minus in the equation

5. May 15, 2016 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What equation? Remember your ultimate goal is to find the current.

6. May 15, 2016 #5
    I think I get it now...

I put the "v*t" instead the "x" in the equation for capacity, multiply it by the voltage (U) and then derivate it following I=dQ/dt

Or am I wrong?

Anyways thank you for your clear explanation, it helped me a lot

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  7. May 15, 2016 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's right. Or you could just leave it as ##x##, and when you differentiate with respect to time, you'll get ##v## in its place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted