Finding displacement current in an AC capacitor circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the displacement current inside a capacitor is equivalent to the conduction current. The participants consider using different equations, such as Q=CV and Gauss's theorem, to derive this relationship. They also discuss the role of a uniform electric field and the changing charge in this scenario.
Peter Andrews

Homework Statement

A capacitor is made of two parallel plates of area A, separation d. It is being charged by an AC source. Show that the displacement current inside the capacitor is the same as the conduction current.

Homework Equations

Idisp = ε(dΦE/dt)
Q = CV
C = Aε/d
Xc = 1/(2πƒC)
Q(t) CV(1-e-t/τ)

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, as it's an AC circuit so we won't be completely charging the capacitor, so I don't think we will use the exponential charging equation for a capacitor.
The displacement current can be obtained by differentiating Q=CV.
That gives (dQ/dt) = C(dV/dt). Assuming V = Vosin(2πft), we get a suitable expression for Id. This leads to a current answer. But of we want to use the electric flux equation then how can we do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter Andrews said:
But of we want to use the electric flux equation then how can we do that?
What is the equation for electric flux in terms of charge Q?

cnh1995 said:
What is the equation for electric flux in terms of charge Q?
Can use the Guass theorem, qenclosed/ε = ∫E.ds (closed integral, I don't know how to insert that sign). But what Guassian surface to choose?

Peter Andrews said:
Can use the Guass theorem, qenclosed/ε = ∫E.ds (closed integral, I don't know how to insert that sign). But what Guassian surface to choose?
You can assume the electric field to be uniform. So, electric flux will be simply electric field*area. What is the relevant formula for electric field here?

cnh1995 said:
You can assume the electric field to be uniform. So, electric flux will be simply electric field*area. What is the relevant formula for electric field here?
But how can we assume electric field to be constant when the charge is changing? The electric field in a capacitor is σ/ε. σ arial charge density. If we use that, then:
Φ = A.E
= Q/ε
Now differentiating,
(dΦ/dt) = (DQ/dt)/ε
So ε(dΦ/dt) = (DQ/dt)
Hence Idisplacement is dq/dt following which I come back to the process given in my solution above. Is there no other way via which I can get the result, without having to apply dq/dt on capacitor?

Peter Andrews said:
Φ = A.E
= Q/ε
Right.
The field is changing but it is uniform at any instant.

cnh1995 said:
Right.
The field is changing but it is uniform at any instant.
Exactly. Constant and uniform have different meanings, at least in fields.

Peter Andrews said:
Exactly. Constant and uniform have different meanings, at least in fields.
That is why I immidiately changed it to 'uniform'.

1. What is displacement current in an AC capacitor circuit?

Displacement current is the flow of electric charge that occurs in a capacitor when an alternating current (AC) is applied. It is not an actual flow of charge, but rather the change in electric field that allows for the movement of charges within the capacitor.

2. How is displacement current different from conduction current?

Displacement current differs from conduction current in that conduction current is the actual flow of electric charge through a conductor, while displacement current is the change in electric field that allows for the movement of charges in a capacitor. Conduction current is associated with direct current (DC) circuits, while displacement current is associated with AC circuits.

3. How is displacement current calculated?

Displacement current can be calculated using the formula I = ε0 * dΦE/dt, where I is the displacement current, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and dΦE/dt is the rate of change of electric flux. This formula is derived from Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in a given space.

4. Why is displacement current important in AC capacitor circuits?

Displacement current is important in AC capacitor circuits because it helps to explain the behavior of capacitors in these circuits. It is responsible for the charging and discharging of the capacitor, and without it, the capacitor would not be able to store and release electric energy as efficiently.

5. How can displacement current be measured in an AC capacitor circuit?

Displacement current can be measured indirectly by using a capacitance meter to measure the capacitance of the capacitor in the circuit. The value of the displacement current can then be calculated using the formula I = C * dV/dt, where I is the displacement current, C is the capacitance, and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage across the capacitor.