1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The vector -5.2 has a magnitude of 32 and points in the positive direction.?

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    Find the x component of the vector A?

Find the magnitude of the vector A?

Please also explain your work too

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2
    What do you mean by "the vector -5.2"?

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi MrGoodyear812, welcome to the PF.
    You have not posted the actual problem. In the title, what is -5.2 and 32?

5. Feb 10, 2010 #4
    OH! SORRY!

it should be the vectore

-5.2A

6. Feb 10, 2010 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

If you want the components of a vector, you most know the angle made by the vector with x-axis. What is that angle?

7. Feb 10, 2010 #6
    Thats why this problem is killing me...its not enough info

thats honestly everything the book gave us

8. Feb 10, 2010 #7
    I don't get it, is -5.2A the name of the vector? That doesn't make any sense. Are -5 and 2 the components? Doesn't make sense that they would just ask for the x component. What the heck is the A for?

Maybe if you could write the problem statement word for word it would help.

9. Feb 10, 2010 #8
    5.2 is the value of hte vector is what im understanding....idk im so confused..........

and that is word for word

10. Feb 10, 2010 #9
    Just got this email from my prof

Bx = 34m in this case --> Ax = (34m) / (-5.2) = ?? (a negative number), so vecA is pointing in the negative x-direction. The magnitude of A will just be |Ax| (since there's no y-component), which is positive.

11. Feb 10, 2010 #10
    He just emailed me this:

Bx = 34m in this case --> Ax = (34m) / (-5.2) = ?? (a negative number), so vecA is pointing in the negative x-direction. The magnitude of A will just be |Ax| (since there's no y-component), which is positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook