1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The vector space status of all nonconstant functions

1. Mar 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be the set of all nonconstant functions with operations of pointwise addition and scalar multiplication, having the real numbers as their domain. Is V a vectorspace?

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My guess is, no. For example
    F(x) = x2
    Among the axioms for vector space, for an arbitrary element of a vector space u there must be a -u. We can put any number in x and it will end up positive. We can multiply it by any negative scalar, but then squaring it will make it positive.

Am I right? Am I wrong? Am I right for the wrong reasons?

If I am right, there's another disturbing question that comes up: the explanatory portions of the chapter I'm working on state that "The set of all functions having the real numbers as their domain, with operations of pointwise addition and scalar multiplication, is a vector space." Well, isn't the set of all nonconstant functions a subset of that set?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right for the wrong reason. Nonconstant functions are a subset (not a subspace) of all functions. But it's not closed. Find two nonconstant functions that you can add to get a function that is non-nonconstant, i.e. constant.

4. Mar 8, 2013 #3
    Oh, okay. So, for example

F(x)= x+1
    G(x)= -x +1

Add them together and get a constant, 1. Is that correct?

If you have a moment, what was wrong with my original reasoning with F(x)=x^2

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  5. Mar 8, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's correct. Except if add them you get 2. As for your first reasoning I simply don't understand it. kx^2 isn't the same thing as (kx)^2.

6. Mar 9, 2013 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree with Dick that you are "right for the wrong reason". The lack of closure is a killer.

Another killer: What's your zero vector, the additive identity? It can only be f(x)=0, but that's a constant function, so it's not in your set.

7. Mar 9, 2013 #6
    You are correct sir! Thanks.

8. Mar 9, 2013 #7
    Whoops, yeah, two. Thank you for your help.

Oh, am I just wrong on the order of operations - the exponential would come first in kx^2, then multiplication by the scalar, which could leave us with negatives?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  9. Mar 9, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Exactly.

10. Mar 9, 2013 #9
    Thanks for all the help. I usually end up coming here when I'm exhausted and frustrated, and then we see sloppy mistakes on my part. You're a tremendous help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted