The Volume of an Auxiliary Fuel Tank for a Helicopter?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
acdougla17
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I think I did this right but I want to make sure since it is an extra credit problem and I could use the points. If I did something incorrect, I don't want an answer, just point me in the right direction so I can work it out myself.

You are designing an auxiliary fuel tank that will fit under a helicopters fuselage to extend its range. The shape of the tank is generated by revolving y = 1 - (x^2/16), -4<= x => 4 around the x-axis (dimensions in feet).

a) How many cubic feet of fuel will the tank hold (to the nearest cubic foot)?
I set up the integral as 2*pi∫(0 to 4) 1- (x^2/16) dx
My answer was 17 cubic feet

b)A cubic foot holds 7.481 gal. If the helicopter gets 2mi to the gallon, how many additional miles can it fly with the new tank?
My answer 254.354 miles
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to (b) is right given your answer to part (a), but you didn't calculate the volume correctly.