The Wavelength of X-Rays Produced by 80kV Electrons

  • Thread starter Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Wavelengths X-rays
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
UrbanXrisis
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
1
X-ray tubes used by dentists can have voltages as high as 80kV to accelerate the elecrons to produce the X-rays. What is the most lowest wavelength that can be produced by such electons?

This problem seems almost too easy... i need a check

[tex]\lamba = \frac{1.24x10^3 V^{-1} nm}{80kV}[/tex]

[tex]\lamba = 0.0155 nm[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
i thought wavelengths were in nm? why do I get units of nm/v^2?
 
I am stil getting [tex]\lambda = 0.0155 nm[/tex]

I used the formula [tex]\lambda=\frac{h*c}{80kV*e}[/tex]

and I got the same results. am I doing this correctly?
 
ignoring the first part, and using:

[tex]\lambda=\frac{h*c}{80kV*e}[/tex]
(eV*s*m/s)/(V*m/s)

should it be in units of (eV*s)/V ?? shouldn't it be in meters?