What is the minimum wavelength of x-rays produced by a 50 kV emf?

In summary, the minimum wavelength of x-rays produced by an x-ray tube connected to a 50 kV emf can be calculated using the formula \lambda = \frac{hc}{50 k eV}, as found in the Bremsstrahlung theory. This formula takes into account potential energy loss and ensures the maximum energy of the photon is achieved.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An x-rays tube is connected to a 50 kV emf. Calculate the minimum wavelength that one can find in the radiation spectra that the tube produces.

Homework Equations

No idea! This is why I ask help here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Stuck at start. I've searched in google and wikipedia about calculating the wavelength of x-rays in function of the voltage across the emf, but I didn't find any formula.
So if you either know a page or a formula, feel free to share.Edit: Nevermind I find out in wikipedia about Bremsstrahlung. It gives me [tex]\lambda = \frac{hc}{50 k eV}[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The theory is that the energy of one electron is transferred to one photon. There may be some loss of energy, so the theory actually gives the minimum wavelength (maximum photon energy) case.
Energy of electron = energy of photon
qV = hc/λ

1. What are X-rays?

X-rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation with a shorter wavelength and higher energy than visible light. They were discovered in 1895 by Wilhelm Röntgen and have since been used in various fields such as medicine, industry, and scientific research.

2. How are X-rays produced?

X-rays are produced when high-speed electrons collide with a metal target. This collision causes the electrons to lose energy, which is emitted in the form of X-rays. X-rays can also be produced through other methods, such as synchrotron radiation and X-ray tubes.

3. How is the wavelength of X-rays calculated?

The wavelength of X-rays can be calculated using the formula λ = hc/E, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and E is the energy of the X-ray.

4. What is the relationship between X-rays and wavelength?

X-rays have a shorter wavelength than visible light, ranging from 0.01 to 10 nanometers. As the wavelength decreases, the energy of the X-ray increases. This allows X-rays to penetrate solid objects and create images of internal structures.

5. What are some uses of X-rays?

X-rays have a wide range of uses, including medical imaging, airport security, industrial inspection, and scientific research. They are commonly used to diagnose and treat medical conditions, as well as to study the structure of materials at the atomic level.