1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron potential/momentum problem

1. Sep 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To produce x-ray radiation, electrons are accelerated in vacuum and aimed so as to collide with a target. Assume that all of the electron kinetic energy is converted into the energy of the x-ray photon on collision and that the wavelength of the resulting radiation is 1.24 angstroms.

2. Relevant equations
    h^2/(2*(e)(m)(λ)^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    (6.63*10^-34)^2/(2(1.6*10^-19)(9.11*10^-31)(1.24*10^-9)^2)

=.979 V
    /1000 for kV = .000979 kV. I entered this answer and it told me it was incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2015 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

That equation is unknown to me. Try starting out with the basic equation for the energy of the x-ray photon.

4. Sep 29, 2015 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the question?
    You did not write any equation. What does the formula in 2 mean?

5. Sep 29, 2015 #4
    The question is "What potential difference must the electron be accelerated? (answer in kV) "
    Enter the electron momentum in kg*m/s

My equation I found using KE=1/2mv^2, λ = h / p, and I guess I messed something up

so I have the λ=1.26, the mass of an electron, the fact it is a vaccum, the charge of an electron, planks constant. What kind of formula should I be using?

h/ λ =p
    (6.63*10^-34)/(1.24*10^-10) = 5.34*10^-24 (momentum?)

6. Sep 29, 2015 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need a formula that contains the accelerating voltage.
    The problem asks the momentum of the electron. h/ λ =p is right if you use the wavelength of the electron, but you substituted the wavelength of the photon, so you got the momentum of the photon.

7. Sep 30, 2015 #6

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The kinetic energy of the electrons are used to produce the x-ray photons. So I suggest starting out with the energy of the x-ray photons. Do you know what the equation is for the energy of a photon (according to Planck and as used by Einstein to explain the photoelectric effect)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted