The Work-Energy Principle & Kinematic Eq'ns to calculate speed

In summary, a spaceship traveling at a mass of 5.00 x 104 kg and a speed of 1.15 x 104 m/s in outer space experiences a constant force of 4.00 x 105 N from its engine and moves a distance of 2.50 x 106m in the direction of the force. Using the work-energy theorem, the final speed of the ship is calculated to be 6324.6 m/s. Using kinematic equations, the final speed is also calculated to be 6324.6 m/s. The difference between the two calculations is due to the inclusion of the initial speed (v0) in the kinematic equation.
janelle1905

Homework Statement

A spaceship of mass 5.00 x 104 kg is traveling at a speed 1.15 x 104 m/s in outer space. Except for the force generated by its own engine, no other force acts on the ship. As the engine exerts a constant force of 4.00 x 105 N, the ship moves a distance of 2.50 x 106m in the direction of the force of the engine.
a. Determine the final speed of the ship using the work-energy theorem.
b. Determine the final speed of the ship using kinematic equations.

Homework Equations

Wnet = 1/2mv2
v2 = v20 + 2(F/m)d

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Using work energy theorem:
Wnet = W + Wfr = Fdcos0o + 0 = (4.00 x 105)(2.50 x 106) = 1.00 x 1012
v2 = (2)(1.00x1012)/5.00x104 = 6324.6 m/s

b. Using kinematic equations:
v2 = (1.15 x 104)2 + 2(4.00 x 105/5.00 x 104)(2.50 x 106)
v = 13,124 m/s

According to my calculation in part a, the final speed is 6324.6 m/s, however in part b my calculation shows that the velocity is 13,124 m/s. The difference between the two calcuations is the v0 is included in the second one, but not in the first. It seems to me that v0 should be included, but I don't know how to incorporate it into the work-energy theorem.

Thanks in advance for you help :)

(I know these answers aren't the correct number of sig figs yet...just trying to get the right answer first!)

Physics news on Phys.org
You misquoted the work-energy theorem. It is

Wnet = ΔK

where ΔK is the change in kinetic energy (final minus initial). This spaceship is already moving when in fires its engine.

Okay...So in my Wnet calculation, should it be Wnet = Fdcos0 + v0

I know that KE = 1/2mv2, this is what the second term of the previous equation should be, however this leads to the wrong answer doesn't it?

Also, do you think my calculation of velocity using kinematic equations is correct?

Thanks for your help.

You are missing the point. I am not talking about kinetic energy KE. I am talking about change in kinetic energy. The work-energy theorem in this case should be written as

(1/2)m(vfinal)2 - (1/2)m(vinitial)2 = Wnet

The term on the left is the change in kinetic energy, final minus initial.

You need to use the above equation with vinitial = 1.15x104 m/s to find vfinal. The work in this case is indeed Fd. I don't know what v0 means, but it should not be there.

The kinematic equation is correctly set up. I did not plug into check your numbers.

Okay - I understand it now. I plugged in and got the same answer for both part a and b this time.
Thanks very much for your help!

1. What is the Work-Energy Principle?

The Work-Energy Principle states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. It is a fundamental principle in physics that helps us understand the relationship between work, energy, and motion.

2. How do you calculate work?

Work is calculated as the product of force and displacement, expressed as W = F * d. This means that the amount of work done on an object depends on the magnitude of the force applied and the distance over which the force is applied.

3. What are the Kinematic Equations?

The Kinematic Equations are a set of equations that describe the motion of an object in terms of its initial and final position, velocity, acceleration, and time. The equations are:
- v = u + at (where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time)
- s = ut + 1/2at^2 (where s is displacement)
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as
- s = 1/2(u + v)t
- s = vt - 1/2at^2

4. How do you calculate speed using the Kinematic Equations?

The speed of an object can be calculated by using the equation v = s/t, where v is speed, s is distance, and t is time. Alternatively, if the initial and final velocities, as well as the acceleration, are known, the speed can be calculated using the equation v = (u + v)/2.

5. How is the Work-Energy Principle related to the Kinematic Equations?

The Work-Energy Principle is related to the Kinematic Equations because it allows us to calculate the speed of an object by using the change in its kinetic energy and the work done on it. This means that we can use the Kinematic Equations to determine the speed of an object without directly measuring it, by instead measuring the work and energy involved in its motion.