The world is unfair and all so why have an offspring?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary: We didn't have to worry about terrorism, we didn't have to worry about nuclear war, we didn't have to worry about any of that.
tgt said:
The world is an unfair place, even in well off areas such as America and certainly not the most ideal of places. So why do want continue to want offsprings?

would you rather not being alive?

Physics news on Phys.org
tgt said:
The world is an unfair place

Does that means it is 100% unfair during 100% of life time of an average person?

There's scarcity and then competition which is ugly [To me, Idea of perfection is nothingness - there is no observer].

I think most people live because they think tomorrow will be good and they have dreams/hope. It's obviously foolish because they deny that they have an end.

I am living and would have children when I grow up because I want to spend my money/love on others :). I guess most people have children because of love ...

neu said:
As for the opening post, I was discussing this with a friend recently how I thought that having children was such a strong statement that "I want to bring life into this world" yet most parents probably wouldn't have considered this as their motivation at all. I think that this line of thought, like most existentialism, is somewhat non-applicable to life choices as humans are fundamentaly irrational creatures with little control over what we want/"need", and to try and alter our decision based upon existential lines of thought is to deprive ourselves of being Human to some degree.

Given that we share 97% of genes with chimps, I'd have to agree with that.

moe darklight said:

Yes, certainly.

Moonbear said:
And that's why it's irrational. Expecting some sort of utopia is not at all realistic. If one waited for a utopia to have children, the planet would have no humans on it.

I'm not expecting any utopia. Another view of seeing what I'm trying to get at is that I have very high expectations of the world around me and if those expectations are not met then I'd rather not live. That is completely rational. The irrational me would just try to rob the honest people and try to find as many beautiful girls as possible.

tgt said:
I'm not expecting any utopia. Another view of seeing what I'm trying to get at is that I have very high expectations of the world around me and if those expectations are not met then I'd rather not live. That is completely rational. The irrational me would just try to rob the honest people and try to find as many beautiful girls as possible.

You have 'expectations of the world' ...?

I don't expect the world to do squat.

moe darklight said:

That question doesn't make sense. Having to choose between consciousness and not being conscious when you have never felt the latter is an impossible decision.

WarPhalange said:
That question doesn't make sense. Having to choose between consciousness and not being conscious when you have never felt the latter is an impossible decision.

I know I'd love a million dollars and I know I'd rather not have to wear itchy contact lenses just to see clearly enough to go out everyday. Before you wrote your post you decided you'd rather write your post than not.

tgt said:
The world is an unfair place, even in well off areas such as America and certainly not the most ideal of places. So why do want continue to want offsprings?

I think that the answer is that the people who do have offsprings don't care about the unfairness.

Why don't you read in "unfairness", "opportunity" ? It means that if you play it smart, you can get more out of the world than you would "fairly" deserve. Be part of the corrupt elite, and your life will look much better than it would in a fair world, no ? :cool:

The irrational me would just try to rob the honest people and try to find as many beautiful girls as possible.

See! You found out yourself!

Last edited:
tgt said:
Another view of seeing what I'm trying to get at is that I have very high expectations of the world around me and if those expectations are not met then I'd rather not live. That is completely rational.
No, that's not rational. Unrealistically high expectations are never rational. Nor is it rational to look at things, decide they aren't going the way to like, and decide you'd rather just not exist. A rational person looks at a problem and tries to find a solution.

The irrational me would just try to rob the honest people and try to find as many beautiful girls as possible.
How is that irrational, actually? The first part might land you in jail, but since you think the world is awful and not worth living in anyway, jail can't be any worse. Not that I'm advocating it, but it's not entirely an irrational choice. And, as for the second part, that's exactly what most men set out to do (the women try to find as many great men as possible...and yeah, some exceptions on either side). The more you meet, the better your chances are of finding one who will reproduce with you.

The choices you're presenting aren't rational, they are rationalizing...attempting to justify an irrational act to yourself or others.

But, basically, you've failed to show any connection in your argument of why unfairness in the world should be a limitation for procreation.

Maybe you just don't like children and have no interest in reproducing and are attempting to explain that to yourself rather than just accepting that's who you are?

Does this help?

Edmund Burke said:
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.

Cyrus said:
You have 'expectations of the world' ...?

I don't expect the world to do squat.

Moonbear said:
No, that's not rational. Unrealistically high expectations are never rational. Nor is it rational to look at things, decide they aren't going the way to like, and decide you'd rather just not exist. A rational person looks at a problem and tries to find a solution. How is that irrational, actually? The first part might land you in jail, but since you think the world is awful and not worth living in anyway, jail can't be any worse. Not that I'm advocating it, but it's not entirely an irrational choice. And, as for the second part, that's exactly what most men set out to do (the women try to find as many great men as possible...and yeah, some exceptions on either side). The more you meet, the better your chances are of finding one who will reproduce with you.

The choices you're presenting aren't rational, they are rationalizing...attempting to justify an irrational act to yourself or others.

But, basically, you've failed to show any connection in your argument of why unfairness in the world should be a limitation for procreation.

Maybe you just don't like children and have no interest in reproducing and are attempting to explain that to yourself rather than just accepting that's who you are?

I don't just hate children, I also hate living myself. And yes, I hate other livings things as well like most animals.

The point is if you want me to pass down my genes then it better be a bloody good world for the genes to survive in. Otherwise, which is the case of our world, I'd rather not pass down my genes and further would rather not have lived. This is all said by a completely rational me. However, I'm aware that if someone special enough comes along, I would completely deny everything in this thread and thereby be irrational.

Last edited:
tgt said:
The point is if you want me to pass down my genes then it better be a bloody good world for the genes to survive in.
Think about what one wrote! What does Cyrus have to do with passing one's reproduction? :rolleyes:

Otherwise, which is the case of our world, I'd rather not pass down my genes and further would rather not have lived.
Umm - why not simply do what one can do to make the world somewhat better - fairer?

My youngest brother became a doctor OB/Gyn surgeon. Three months after he started a promising surgical career, he was diagnosed with leukemia (AML 5, the most aggressive type). He died within 11 months of the diagnosis leaving behind a 3 year old son and widow. That was rather unfair, wasn't it?

While one is alive, one has opportunity.

Rather than complain about how unfair the world is, stop complaining and do what one can do to improve the situation.

tgt said:

I think that the answer is that the people who do have offsprings don't care about the unfairness.

I think people who don't commit a suicide and continue their lives despite this, don't care about the unfairness too!:rolleyes::tongue2:

jimmysnyder said:
Does this help?

A little but I believe good men don't exist. They will act bad at some stage in their lives.

tgt said:
A little but I believe good men don't exist.
I'm sorry you feel that way. They always speak well of you.

tgt said:
The point is if you want me to pass down my genes then it better be a bloody good world for the genes to survive in. Otherwise, which is the case of our world, I'd rather not pass down my genes and further would rather not have lived.
Why?

I mean, what is to be gained by not living and not passing down your genes?

tgt said:
I don't just hate children, I also hate living myself. And yes, I hate other livings things as well like most animals.

If this is your true feeling, then I strongly recommend that you seek psychiatric consultation. These are pretty strongly negative emotions you're expressing, and really aren't normal. Continuing this thread is not going to help with that.

At this point, I think this thread has run its course and it's time to lock it.