Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The world is unfair and all so why have an offspring?

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1

tgt

The world is an unfair place, even in well off areas such as America and certainly not the most ideal of places. So why do want continue to want offsprings?

I think that the answer is that the people who do have offsprings don't care about the unfairness.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2008 #2
    ? People have sex, sex leads to babies. When people are having sex they dont care about the 'fairness' of the world.

4. Jul 6, 2008 #3
    Not all people have sex just for the f*** of it. Some people actually have sex to procreate. I believe that is what the OP is referring to.

As to the OP, I personally agree with you, perhaps is something thats been wired into our brains from times immemorial, something we have to do.

5. Jul 6, 2008 #4

tgt

fair point. But there is the option of abortion or other methods of preventing babies.

6. Jul 6, 2008 #5
    Why do you breath air? Knowing the world is so unfair, why go through all the tyranny another day? Why not just hold your breath permanently?

7. Jul 6, 2008 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

So that you are not the last one to suffer? That's the only way you can make it more fair, share unafirness with others.

I am saying such things every day and then my neighbors think I am a pessimist. I call it realism :wink:

8. Jul 6, 2008 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At what time in the history of man has life been fair?

9. Jul 6, 2008 #8

Dale

In my case, that is true. I often tell my kids, "I'm not into 'fair'". I actually think fairness is a rather worthless and immature concept.

It is generally also misapplied by children and liberals who think that the definition of "fair" is them getting whatever they want whenever they want it instead of them getting what they have earned.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  10. Jul 6, 2008 #9
    My kids tell me that my generation screwed things up and that they are going to make the world more fair. I seem to recall telling my parents something like that too.

11. Jul 6, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does fairness have to do with anything? And what exactly do you mean by fair? Usually when I hear children crying, "It's not fair!!!" what they really mean is "I didn't get what I want!"

12. Jul 6, 2008 #11
    What has catapulted early cavemen to a modern world with technological wonders isn't a better cognitive ability but rather a gradual process of idea exchange. As a result our technology has evolved but our primitive brains have not. In fact the development of our brains is glacial, if not stagnant since human behavior is almost identical to early recorded history.

A common reoccurring theme in history is dominance vs. submission. It exists in all levels of society, whether individually, in a group, a tribe, or a nation. And generates the concept of "survival of the fittest." The point is to procure resources which will aide your survival. The problem is our primitive brain doesn't know when to stop.

So yeah, it's not fair as in "I have more than you." It's also not fair as in fighting other tribes and stealing their land, killing, raping, and enslaving them. I think we will be doing this for eons to come.

13. Jul 6, 2008 #12

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The original post doesn't make much sense to me. Why would a rating of how "fair" the world is affect my choice of whether or not to have a child? Do you mean to impy that I am somehow punishing the child by bringing her or him into existence?

If there's something I don't like about the world, I have the power to change it - maybe not completely, or instantly, but I can change that aspect of the world in myself and teach my children to act in the way I see fit. (Of course whether or not they choose to listen is their decision.)

14. Jul 8, 2008 #13
    That's kind of like saying, why don't you commit suicide if life isn't fair.

15. Jul 8, 2008 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Ask yourself if the alternative is better. Is oblivion for the human race better than prospering in an unfair world?

16. Jul 8, 2008 #15

Evo

Bringing a child into the world now is a heck of a lot better than 10,000 years ago. I never get people that think we are living in such terrible times.

Name a "good" time, and justify why it was a better time than now.

17. Jul 8, 2008 #16

Borek

When we were teenagers. Do I still have to explain, or is it obvious enough? :wink:

18. Jul 8, 2008 #17
    Because we (PF members and other smart people) NEED to have kids to balance out the idjits in the world...

19. Jul 8, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, when I was 15 and still knew everything. :biggrin:

20. Jul 8, 2008 #19
    Fairness has nothing to do with procreation. Extremely terrible circumstances are necessary before one should decide not to procreate in the interest of an offspring's well being.

I want to procreate because I want conscious beings that experience the world very similar to the way I do to live and spread my genes.

I love my life. Life is the greatest gift one person can give to another, as a parent to a child. How petty do notions of 'fairness' seem when viewed like this?

21. Jul 8, 2008 #20

Astronuc

1958-1963 Small towns, beaches, few people around, and I didn't know about all the terrible things in the world.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?