Theoretical Expression for %loss in Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an equation for the percent loss in kinetic energy, which is equal to M/m+M*100%. The attempt at a solution involves finding the initial and final energy values and using them to calculate the percent change. However, the substitution and simplification steps are causing confusion.
crazuiee

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive an equation which should look like this in the end:
%loss in Kinetic energy= M/m+M*100%, I'm just not sure how to substitute everything, and cancel things out to get the expression. Can someone show me the steps?

Homework Equations

mVi=(M+m)Vf
%loss in Kinetic Energy= 1/2mVi^2-1/2(M+m)Vf^2/ 1/2mVi^2 *100%

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Pi = mVi
Pi^2 = (mVi)^2 = 2m*(1/2*m*Vi^2) = 2mEi.
So Ei = Pi^2/2m
Similarly find Ef
Then percent change = (Ei - Ef)/Ei*100

I'm sorry i really don't see how that's going to work out to M/M+m

Substitute the values of Ei and Ef. While simplification substitute the value of Vf in terms of Vi using the first equation in relevant equations.

yea...that means nothing to me sorry..

(Ei - Ef)/Ei = [1/2*m*vi^2 - 1/2*(m+M)*vf^2]/1/2*m*vi^2.
Cancel 1/2m
= vi^2 - [(m+M)/m*vf^2]/vi^2
Put vi^2 = [(m + M)/m*vf]^2 and simplify.

What is "Theoretical Expression for %loss in Kinetic Energy"?

Theoretical Expression for %loss in Kinetic Energy refers to a mathematical formula that calculates the percentage of kinetic energy that is lost in a system due to various factors such as friction, air resistance, and collisions.

Why is it important to understand %loss in Kinetic Energy?

Understanding %loss in Kinetic Energy is crucial in analyzing and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. It helps in designing efficient machines and structures, as well as in determining the impact of external forces on moving objects.

What are some common factors that contribute to %loss in Kinetic Energy?

Friction, air resistance, and collisions are the most common factors that contribute to %loss in Kinetic Energy. Other factors may include heat transfer, sound energy, and deformation of objects.

How is the theoretical expression for %loss in Kinetic Energy calculated?

The theoretical expression for %loss in Kinetic Energy is calculated by taking the difference between the initial kinetic energy of a system and the final kinetic energy of the system, and then dividing it by the initial kinetic energy and multiplying by 100 to get the percentage.

Can the theoretical expression for %loss in Kinetic Energy be applied to all systems?

The theoretical expression for %loss in Kinetic Energy can be applied to most physical systems, as long as the factors contributing to %loss are known and can be quantified. However, it may not be applicable to systems with complex interactions and non-conservative forces.