1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Theoretical Mechanics of Particles and Continua by Fetter

1. Strongly Recommend

100.0%
  2. Lightly recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lightly don't recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Strongly don't recommend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dec 11, 2013 #1
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2013 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a pretty good book. I used it to teach myself some intro grad level mechanics and thought that it was concise, has some interesting problems to solve, and has a nice set of chapters on fluids - in particular emphasizing waves in fluids - which was the primary selling point for me. I never did work through the chapter on Hamiltonian mechanics (I know - that is what most people are probably wanting to read first!). The chapters I have read tend to have sections that introduce applied mathematics techniques in a useful way; most techniques I had seen before but still learned something from the discussion. The level is a modest step above Marion and Thornton's classic undergrad book.

I cannot make a useful comparison with other grad mechanics books, since I am not so familiar with them. But if you are looking for a ton of material on Hamiltonian mechanics, this may not be the book for you, since the authors decided to emphasize continuum mechanics instead. For example, Goldstein's book has a ton more on Hamiltonian mechanics and other books likely do too.

I have the old hardback, but I see that it is now a Dover republication and the price makes this book a good deal.

jason

4. Feb 14, 2014 #3
    I actually bought this by mistake. I took it off the shelf and thought I was buying their Many-body theory book. I returned it after examining the book in the parking lot (before driving back 75 miles: Lucky). After deeper examination from a library copy, I find it I like Goldstein Classical Mechanics slightly better. The old Goldstein (without that chaos stuff was better). My classical mechanics course treated some of the chaos. I feel graduate students would be better served going through the small oscillations chapter or the special relativity chapter or later chapters that we skipped to do chaos.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted