1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theoretical/non-tedious question about power series solution of y'' + y = 0

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1

s3a

1. "The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a recurrence formula for the power series solution around x = 0 for the differential equation given in the previous problem."

The previous problem says:
    "Determine whether x = 0 is an ordinary point of the differential equation y'' + y = 0."

2. Relevant equations
    Power series and related stuff.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the solutions for both of these problems and I also know how to do them both. My question is just:

If x = 0 was not an ordinary point, what would that mean? Would that mean that I cannot assume a power series solution of the form y = [n=0 to inf] Σ[a_n (x - x_0)^n] (where x_0 = 0 in this case) exists or what?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##x=0## is a regular singular point, your series has to look like$$
    \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^{n+r}$$

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3

s3a

Thanks for your answer. I have a bit more to ask though.

It seems that I can assume there exists a solution y = Σ from n = 0 to inf of a_n * x^n if x = 0 is an ordinary point. I asked what would happen if x = 0 were not an ordinary point and your answer was good for me but now I want to know what if the question asked me to find the power series solution about x = {any one chosen finite real} and if x = {that same one chosen finite real} is an ordinary point, then would that still mean that a solution of the form y = Σ from n = 0 to inf of a_n * x^n exists?

Also does it have to strictly be a real? I'm not looking to go too deep because my course doesn't require it but I just want to know if the answer is a yes or no since I plan to study this further for fun when I am done school.

5. Apr 18, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##x=a## is an ordinary point and you want the expansion around that point, you would use a Taylor series centered at ##a##:$$
    y=\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n(x-a)^n$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook