Theoretical Nuclear Physics Textbook

In summary, the individual is interested in low-energy experimental nuclear physics and has background in quantum mechanics and introductory nuclear science. They have found a suitable textbook, Theoretical Nuclear Physics by Blatt and Weisskopf, but are looking for additional resources with problems for a reading group. They have looked at Krane's Introductory Nuclear Physics but want something more advanced and focused on quantum mechanics. The book The Nuclear Many-Body Problem by Ring and Schuck is also of interest, but does not have problems at the end of chapters.
pierce15
Hello,

I am interested in getting into low-energy experimental nuclear physics. I have studied quantum mechanics and a few introductory nuclear science textbooks (e.g. Shultis + Faw: Introduction to Nuclear Science and Engineering).

I found the textbook Theoretical Nuclear Physics by Blatt and Weisskopf which, content- and difficulty-wise, seems to be exactly what I am looking for. However, this book has no problems. Hence I am looking for either a book of problems in nuclear physics to supplement it or a textbook that has similar material/difficulty along with problems.

For reference, I looked at Krane's Introductory Nuclear Physics and I am looking for something more advanced. I am looking for something that treats most of the subject quantum mechanically. The specific material that I want to study is 2-body problems (including scattering), nuclear spectroscopic models, quantum mechanical treatment of nuclear reactions, and interaction of nuclei with EM radiation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe:
The Nuclear Many-Body Problem

Authors: Ring, Peter, Schuck, Peter

Likes vanhees71
This book also looks great but there are no problems at the end of the chapters.

The specific reason why I am looking for problems is because I am trying to organize a small reading group and it will be much easier to gauge progress if we all do problem sets.

1. What is the purpose of a theoretical nuclear physics textbook?

A theoretical nuclear physics textbook is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of nuclear physics. It aims to explain the behavior of atomic and subatomic particles, as well as the interactions between them.

2. What topics are typically covered in a theoretical nuclear physics textbook?

A theoretical nuclear physics textbook may cover topics such as nuclear structure, nuclear reactions, nuclear decays, nuclear forces, and nuclear models. It may also explore advanced topics such as nuclear astrophysics and nuclear energy.

3. Is a strong background in mathematics required to understand a theoretical nuclear physics textbook?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for understanding theoretical nuclear physics. Concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are commonly used in nuclear physics calculations and equations.

4. How is a theoretical nuclear physics textbook different from an experimental nuclear physics textbook?

A theoretical nuclear physics textbook focuses on the theoretical aspects of nuclear physics, such as mathematical models and theoretical predictions. An experimental nuclear physics textbook, on the other hand, focuses on the practical aspects of nuclear physics, such as experimental methods and data analysis.

5. Are there any real-world applications of theoretical nuclear physics?

Yes, theoretical nuclear physics has many real-world applications, such as understanding the behavior of nuclear reactors, developing new technologies for nuclear energy production, and studying the properties of nuclear matter for medical and industrial purposes.