Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't I find many nuclear physics textbooks ?

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    Why can't I find many nuclear physics textbooks ??

Why are nuclear physics textbooks so few compared with quantum field theory texts for example?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2011 #2
    Re: Why can't I find many nuclear physics textbooks ??

Hmm, I never really noticed a severe lack of nuclear physics textbooks. One factor might be that Nuclear Physics is a relatively broad field, often including things like particle physics, atomic physics, and quantum field theory to an extent.

If you want a good Nuclear Physics book suggestion, I personally like Griffith's Introduction to Elementary Particles.

4. Jul 8, 2011 #3
    Re: Why can't I find many nuclear physics textbooks ??

That's not nuclear physics, but particle physics.

- A good introductory textbook is: Krane - Introductory Nuclear Physics
    - A more advanced textbook on theoretical nuclear physics: Ring and Schuck - The Many-Body Nuclear Problem
    - The textbook we used for the Shell Model: K. Heyde - The Nuclear Shell Model (no longer in print, but he gave the lectures , so we had some copies from him)

Experimental: Knoll - Radiation Detection and Measurement

Also, you don't need many books, but a good book for every subject of study.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook