1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theoretical Range Equation Derivation

1. Sep 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive an expression for calculating the theoretical range of the ball in terms of y, g, theta, and v0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried just about everything to figure this out. I started with the motion in the x-direction, and plugged the second-to-last equation in for v0x in the second equation, and then solved for "t". Then I plugged the "t" into the second equation (but for the y-direction), and tried solving for "x". But I kept getting really weird numbers. Can someone please help me out?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Motion in the x direction is at a constant speed, so what you are looking for is the time given by motion in the y direction.
    Use s = ut + 1/2 at^2 and v^2 = u^2 + 2as to get an equation for time as a function of initial vertical velocity component. Remember that final (vertical) velocity is zero at the top of the curve.
    Then plug this into the horizontal component of velocity to get a range.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?