(Theoretical) Repurposing of electric elevator motor

In summary: One of your characters is under restrictions in the setting, so they need to build something using what they have. They come up with a way to use a scavenged electric elevator motor to power a vehicle. However, because it's not allowed in the setting, they need to figure out a way to make it work. They end up using a 35hp tractor to power the vehicle.
Benson2104
Greetings,

I am writing a Fan Fiction for someone and had a technical question. I like to do as much research as possible and have my "work" be as accurate/realistic as possible, so here I am. I know this might not be the place to ask it, but if you know of any place more suitable I wouldn't mind you pointing me in the right direction =)

Okay, getting down to it.
I need one of my characters to build an electric vehicle, but he/she is under some restrictions.
1) The setting does not allow for store purchases, everything has to be scavenged.
2) Anything used in the construction needs to have existed pre-1950.

What I was thinking was repurposing a scavenged electric elevator motor from a building (Do not worry about how they will remove/transport it) to drive what will be roughly a 7 tonne vehicle, excluding load and the motor itself. Luckily, the setting provides convenient (and very strong) power sources. I know the motor in question doesn't work on the principle I'm proposing, but it's the only thing I can think of with more or less the power required for the size of the vehicle I have in mind and also meets with the restrictions. Could this be done? Keeping in mind I only have basic knowledge of electrical engineering (10 minutes on Wikipedia =P): How? What tools and/or additional components would be needed to get it done?

Additional notes:
1) I won't be able to read / reply to any inquiries for a few days, don't have internet at home.
2) No, this is not how I write when I'm serious =P
3) I usually ask questions like this, then figure it out a while later myself, look back and think: That was a stupid question. Here's hoping its not one of those cases.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Working under the assumption you have access to electricity, and assuming the character "scavenges" the gear reduction while he is "scavenging" the electric motor there is technically no reason a 5hp to 200hp electric motor could not move a 7 ton vehicle, though you aren't going to get it moving very fast with motors from the low end of the range. A 35hp tractor can move some incredible loads, and the source of the horsepower (electric vs ICE) is unimportant.

So, you can write about the elevator motor w/o fear of improbability, just make sure the HP and the speed are "reasonable".

Fish

1. What does "repurposing of electric elevator motor" mean?

The repurposing of electric elevator motor refers to the process of using an electric elevator motor for a different purpose other than its original intended use in elevators. This could include using the motor for other types of machinery or as a power source for different applications.

2. Can any type of electric elevator motor be repurposed?

In theory, any type of electric elevator motor can be repurposed. However, the feasibility and success of repurposing will depend on the specific design and capabilities of the motor. Factors such as power output, size, and compatibility with other systems will need to be considered.

3. What are the potential benefits of repurposing electric elevator motors?

Repurposing electric elevator motors can have several benefits, including cost savings, sustainability, and efficiency. By repurposing an existing motor, there is no need to purchase a new one, reducing costs. It also promotes sustainability by giving new life to old equipment and reduces waste. Additionally, elevator motors are designed to be energy-efficient, making them a viable option for other applications.

4. Are there any potential risks or challenges associated with repurposing electric elevator motors?

There can be potential risks and challenges when repurposing electric elevator motors. It is important to thoroughly assess the motor's capabilities and compatibility with the new application to ensure safety and functionality. Additionally, modifications or alterations may be required, which could impact the motor's warranty or lifespan.

5. What are some examples of successful repurposing of electric elevator motors?

There are several examples of successful repurposing of electric elevator motors, such as using them for ventilation systems, conveyor belts, or as generators for renewable energy sources. Some companies have also successfully repurposed elevator motors for use in electric vehicles. With advancements in technology, there are constantly new and innovative ways to repurpose these motors for various applications.