(Theoretical) Repurposing of electric elevator motor

• Thread starter Benson2104
  • Start date
Greetings,

I am writing a Fan Fiction for someone and had a technical question. I like to do as much research as possible and have my "work" be as accurate/realistic as possible, so here I am. I know this might not be the place to ask it, but if you know of any place more suitable I wouldn't mind you pointing me in the right direction =)

Okay, getting down to it.
I need one of my characters to build an electric vehicle, but he/she is under some restrictions.
1) The setting does not allow for store purchases, everything has to be scavenged.
2) Anything used in the construction needs to have existed pre-1950.

What I was thinking was repurposing a scavenged electric elevator motor from a building (Do not worry about how they will remove/transport it) to drive what will be roughly a 7 tonne vehicle, excluding load and the motor itself. Luckily, the setting provides convenient (and very strong) power sources. I know the motor in question doesn't work on the principle I'm proposing, but it's the only thing I can think of with more or less the power required for the size of the vehicle I have in mind and also meets with the restrictions. Could this be done? Keeping in mind I only have basic knowledge of eletrical engineering (10 minutes on Wikipedia =P): How? What tools and/or additional components would be needed to get it done?

Additional notes:
1) I won't be able to read / reply to any inquiries for a few days, don't have internet at home.
2) No, this is not how I write when I'm serious =P
3) I usually ask questions like this, then figure it out a while later myself, look back and think: That was a stupid question. Here's hoping its not one of those cases.

Answers and Replies

Working under the assumption you have access to electricity, and assuming the character "scavenges" the gear reduction while he is "scavenging" the electric motor there is technically no reason a 5hp to 200hp electric motor could not move a 7 ton vehicle, though you aren't going to get it moving very fast with motors from the low end of the range. A 35hp tractor can move some incredible loads, and the source of the horsepower (electric vs ICE) is unimportant.

So, you can write about the elevator motor w/o fear of improbability, just make sure the HP and the speed are "reasonable".

Fish