1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory behind investigating factors affecting inductance

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am currently doing an investigation to study the factors affecting inductance. The three variables i am using are the number of turns on the coil, the material of the core of the coil and putting 2 cores in series/parallel to see how this affects the inductance in a d.c circuit.

now i have done experiments for each whereby i measured V across inductor to allow me to work out I and therefore see the affect on L in L= -ε ÷(dI/dt)

i just have a couple of questions though. first of all, am i right in saying that my value for ε (self-induced emf) will the same as the supply voltage?

also, i am requesting some help with my theory work deriving the equation for each variable. i have done the theory for changing number of turns by showing how it affects the magnetic flux produced. but im having problems with the other 2 variables i.e. changing the core/parallel & series circuits; where/what equation with should i start?

Any help hugely appreciated.
    Thanks for your time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't say what kind of physics/engineering background you have. Have you seen the equations for series and parallel inductance, including mutual inductance? For iron-cored solenoids?

One immediate question: what is dI/dt in your equation, given that you are using DC?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook