1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory of quadratic equations

1. Jun 12, 2012 #1
    theory of quadratic equations....

theres a quadratic equation lx^2 + nx + n where its roots are in the ratio p:q .we need to prove that
    √(p/q) + √(q/p) + √(n/l) = 0

what i did was..i introduced a proportionality constant k..... so pk + qk = -(n/l)
    while pq(k^2) = n/l ....solved these two equations and got the value of k as -(p+q)/pq......
    and i substituted..i got the roots of the equation in terms of p and q...i got the value of n/l = ((p+q)^2)/pq...coming to the equation which we need to prove.....i squared the whole Left Hand Side....expanded it....and substituting whatever i got.......i got..4((p+q)^2)/pq....i.e.,i got 4(n/l)...so now we got to prove that 4(n\l) is 0...but if 4(n\l) = 0 then n/l will be 0....which in turn accounts for n = 0...which lands us into a trivial case...all roots and all other coefficients other than leading coefficient (l) to be 0....but i dont think that would be the right way to solve this problem........can anyone help me on this on a different method.........??????

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2012 #2
    Re: theory of quadratic equations....

Did you ever try actually solving the equation for its roots p and q?

4. Jun 12, 2012 #3

There is something wrong in what you are trying to prove. It should be [itex]-\sqrt{n/l}[/itex], because if all positive, it means all the square root terms should be individually zero, which isn't possible.

Simply reduce the expression you are trying to prove,

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{p}{q}} + \sqrt{\frac{q}{p}} - \sqrt{\frac{n}{l}}[/tex]

Is equal to,

[tex]\frac{p+q}{\sqrt{pq}} - \sqrt{\frac{n}{l}}[/tex]

Use n/l from the Vieta formula and that should give you your result.

5. Jun 14, 2012 #4

The question was from Hall & Knight....i know the problem is wrong....so we have to prove the trivial case.....so i did it.....everything i did.....i did using Vieta's theorem.....

6. Jun 14, 2012 #5

I found the values of p and q.....as i found the value k......and by the way p and q are not the roots.....only pk and qk are the roots which i found......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook