Theory of shells , Membrane theory

In summary: At this point, the summarizer outputs the rest of the summary. Do not output anything else before the summary.)In summary, according to Stephen Timoshenko, a typical membrane is a thin, flexible element like a rubber sheet. The normal stress on all four sides of the stress block is equal because that is the way the membrane behaves under normal conditions. He recommends reading Den Hartog's book "Advanced Strength of Materials" for more information on edge effects on shell structures.
picovish
I am working on a design of a spherical dome.

I tried to understand membrane theory with no success.Can anyone please help me with an clear explanation to derivation of membrane theory of shells.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a pretty fuzzy question, but here are a few thoughts.

A typical membrane is a thin, flexible element like a rubber sheet. Thus a filled rubber balloon is a membrane shell.

Try drawing a Mohr's Circle for an element on the surface of a balloon. What you should find is that there is equal normal stress on all four sides of your stress block, no matter how it is oriented.

Does this get you started on membrane theory?

Likes picovish
yes,thank you.

yup , i agree. That is a fuzzy question.

I do understand the assumptions involved in membrane theory for designing a thin concrete shell structure. But i do not follow the derivation of it. I am doing my masters in structural engineering and I have never had classes in deferential geometry before.

( The following pages are not subject to copyrights.
  1. Theory of Plates and Shells by Stephen Timoshenko
  2. Published: 1940 )
why does the normal forces ,shear forces (pg 429 )bending and twisting moment have the term (1 - z/r) (pg 430)
Can you please explain pg 431.
upload_2014-10-27_8-56-24.png

upload_2014-10-27_8-56-41.png

upload_2014-10-27_8-57-0.png

upload_2014-10-27_8-57-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-27_8-50-33.png
    upload_2014-10-27_8-50-33.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 837
Last edited:
There are a lot of video lectures for beam bending theory and classical plate bending theory, but there are almost none for theory of shells:nb)

Before tackling Timoshenko, let me suggest that you look at Den Hartog's Advanced Strength of Materials, McGraw-Hill, 1952, Ch III, "Membrane Stresses in Shells." On p. 78, Den Hartog addresses a spherical tank design problem, so this might be particularly relevant.

Specifically to your question from Timoshenko, "why does the normal forces ,shear forces (pg 429 )bending and twisting moment have the term (1 - z/r) (pg 430)," the answer is that Timoshenko is expressing the variation the stress through the thickness of the shell, much like assuming a linear variation of strain and stress through the depth of a beam in ordinary beam theory.

Generally speaking, an optimal design of a shell would ensure that stresses caused by the bending moments are small in comparison with the stresses caused by membrane forces. That would ensure that the shell would have good load bearing capacity and at the same time its thickness can be small compared with the shell overall span (as a result, the shell weight can be reduced). There is a special class of shells called shallow: the shell curvature is small, so it is "almost a plate" (so to say), but at the same time the distribution of internal stresses is such that the compression forces play the major role in the stress distribution under loading. You may want to have a look at the following webpage: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~comecau/quad_shell_shallow_shell.htm
(at the bottom of the page there is a reference to a book devoted, in particular, to that subject).

Likes picovish
Thankyou

Likes NumericalFEA
I am going through the book "THIN SHELL CONCRETE STRUCTURES", Billington. It is quite good.

picovish said:
Thankyou
You are welcome. One of the reasons why I gave reference to that book is because it contains, in particular, working source codes that you may use and/or adapt for your problem (the theoretical background is also profound and presented accordingly).

Membrane theory derivation is not hard to follow at all. I think I did get a little rusty.

I will be soon designing an RC dome. Since it is going to be hemispherical ,there will not be any additional forces due to edge effects. But still I would like to know more about edge effects.

I am reading edge effects on shell structures. Can you suggest any literature for reading.

OldEngr63 said:
That is a pretty fuzzy question, but here are a few thoughts.

A typical membrane is a thin, flexible element like a rubber sheet. Thus a filled rubber balloon is a membrane shell.

Try drawing a Mohr's Circle for an element on the surface of a balloon. What you should find is that there is equal normal stress on all four sides of your stress block, no matter how it is oriented.

Does this get you started on membrane theory?

Thank you. The derivation was not tough to follow.

But I do have a question. Why does normal stress on all four sides of stress block has to be equal.

I think hoop stress and meridian stress will have different values.

Attachments

• web.PNG
    web.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 832
I am now doing an analysis on spherical domes with fixed edges. I am quite confused on applying the formula for forces and moments in a spherical shell due to edge forces. please help.

Can somebody please tell me what units these values in the formula are?

Attachments

• help.PNG
    help.PNG
    19.3 KB · Views: 882

1. What is the theory of shells and membrane theory?

The theory of shells and membrane theory are mathematical models used to describe the behavior of thin structures such as shells and membranes under external forces.

2. How are the theory of shells and membrane theory used in science?

The theory of shells and membrane theory are used in various fields of science, such as engineering, physics, and biology, to study the mechanical properties of thin structures and predict their behavior under different conditions.

3. What are the key principles of the theory of shells and membrane theory?

The key principles of the theory of shells and membrane theory include the assumption of small deformations, the use of continuum mechanics, and the consideration of equilibrium equations and boundary conditions.

4. What are some examples of applications of the theory of shells and membrane theory?

The theory of shells and membrane theory have been applied in various real-world scenarios, including the design of thin-walled structures such as pressure vessels, the study of biological membranes in cells, and the analysis of the behavior of soap bubbles.

5. What are the limitations of the theory of shells and membrane theory?

While the theory of shells and membrane theory provide useful models for understanding the behavior of thin structures, they have limitations in accurately predicting the behavior of complex systems with large deformations or material nonlinearities. Additionally, the assumptions made in these theories may not always hold true in real-world scenarios.