Spincoating Mechanical Properties & Fabrication Questions

Chrono G. Xay
TL;DR Summary
I hope I’m posting in the correct kind of forum.

I found a ‘guide’—at least of sorts—about spincoating here: https://www.ossila.com/pages/spin-coating#choosing-a-spin-coating-method, but I have a question or two about the possibilities when it comes to spinCAST membranes.
1. Can anyone point me toward publicly-available research papers which examine the mechanical properties of spincast membranes, specifically Tensile Strength, Young’s Modulus, and Poisson’s ratio?

2. How doable might it be to spincast a membrane about 0.2m across and 0.076mm tall?

What I am hoping to is create a radially-oriented version of BOPET (biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate).

What is spin coating and how does it work?

Spin coating is a technique commonly used in the fabrication of thin films. During this process, a liquid solution is deposited on a flat substrate, which is then rotated at high speed. This action causes the liquid to spread outward due to centrifugal force, forming a uniform thin film as the solvent evaporates.

What factors influence the thickness of the film in spin coating?

The thickness of the film produced by spin coating can be influenced by several factors: the viscosity of the solution, the rotational speed of the substrate, the duration of the spin process, and the concentration of the solution. Higher speeds and longer spin times generally result in thinner films, while higher viscosity and solute concentration tend to increase film thickness.

What are the typical materials used in spin coating?

Spin coating is primarily used with materials that can be dissolved into solvents to create a uniform solution. These materials often include polymers, photoresists, and small molecule organics. The choice of material depends on the desired properties of the final film, such as its optical properties, electrical conductivity, or chemical resistance.

How can the mechanical properties of spin-coated films be characterized?

The mechanical properties of spin-coated films, such as tensile strength, elasticity, and hardness, can be characterized using various techniques. Common methods include nanoindentation for measuring hardness and modulus, tensile testing for strength and elongation, and atomic force microscopy (AFM) for assessing surface properties and mechanical behavior at the microscale.

What are the challenges associated with spin coating?

One of the primary challenges in spin coating is achieving uniform thickness and surface smoothness across the entire substrate, especially at larger scales. Variations in solvent evaporation rates, solution viscosity, and environmental conditions like humidity and temperature can affect film quality. Additionally, the removal of air bubbles and the prevention of defects such as streaks or pinholes are critical for producing high-quality films.