1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

There are numbers c, d, with f(a) < f(x) < f(b) for x in (c,d)

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If ##f## is continuous on ##[a,b]## and ##f(a) < f(b)##. Prove that there are numbers ##c, d## with ##a \le c < d \le b## such that ##f(c) = f(a)## and ##f(d) = f(b)## and if ##x \in (c,d)## then ##f(a) < f(x) < f(b)##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This is what I tried.
    By considering the set
    ##A = \left\{ x : a \le x < b \land f(x) = f(a) \right\} ##, which is non-empty and bounded above, so it has a least upper bound ##\alpha##, then I showed that ##f(\alpha) = f(a)##. And by considering the set ##B = \left\{ x : \alpha < x \le b \land f(x) = f(b) \right\} ##, which is nonempty and bounded below, so it has a greatest lower bound ##\beta##. I showed ##f(\beta) = f(b)##. And finally showed if ##x \in (\alpha, \beta)## then ##f(a) < f(x) < f(b)##. So letting ##c = \alpha## and ##d = \beta##.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But might it not be that ##\beta < \alpha##?

4. Jun 6, 2013 #3
    Well ##B## is bounded below by ##\alpha##, so ##\alpha## is a lower bound of B, and since ##\beta## is the greatest lower bound of ##B##, ##\alpha \le \beta##

5. Jun 6, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Sorry, I looked at your definitions of A and B and didn't notice you had ##\alpha## instead of ##a## for the lower limit in B. So I think your argument looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted