Thermal energy transport via conduction

• Thread starter ellieee
  • Start date
ellieee
Homework Statement:
I don't understand what the question is asking. what I interpret it as is how does thermal energy pass through the layer of glass(air molecules inside), am I right? if I'm not, what is it?
Relevant Equations:
-
CamScanner 05-11-2021 15.18_3.jpg

Answers and Replies

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The glass is transparent not because it has air molecules inside it but because such is its chemical structure that allows for photons to pass through it with small to no distortion. Other than that , yes, the question asks how the heat passes from the gas burner through the glass layer and into the water. The gas burner is in immediate contact with the glass and not with the water.

ellieee
t
The glass is transparent not because it has air molecules inside it but because such is its chemical structure that allows for photons to pass through it with small to no distortion. Other than that , yes, the question asks how the heat passes from the gas burner through the glass layer and into the water. The gas burner is in immediate contact with the glass and not with the water.
the answer is D, why can't it be B? B is talking about convection current I suppose ?

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
yes we can say that it talks about convection. You can have convection currents in gases and liquids but not in solid substances like glass. The molecules from the outer layer of the glass (those in contact with the burner ) do not move to the inner layer (in contact with the water) they just vibrate afew angstroms around a mean position.

ellieee
molecules from the outer layer of the glass (those in contact with the burner )
u mean the surrounding air?
then B is talking about how thermal energy is transferred throughout the whole liquid, which is another idea right?

Delta2
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
No I mean the outer layer of the glass, the surface of the glass that is in contact with the burner.

B is talking something like we have convection inside the glass, which is not true. But yes the thermal energy throughout the water is transferred through convection.

Suggested for: Thermal energy transport via conduction

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies