1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Equilibirum Calorimeter

1. May 9, 2008 #1

TFM

Question

A copper calorimeter can with mass 0.100 kg contains 0.160 kg of water and 0.018 kg of ice in thermal equilibrium at atmospheric pressure.

If 0.750 kg of lead at a temperature of 255 degrees C is dropped into the calorimeter can, what is the final temperature? Assume that no heat is lost to the surroundings.

Related Formula

[tex] Q_1 + Q_2 + Q_3 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] Q = mc\Delta T [/tex]

[tex] \Delta T = T_{initial} - T_{final} [/tex]

The initial temperature of the Ice/Water/Container, so I am not quite sure what the best way to start this question is.

Any suggestions?

TFM

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please post your problems in the correct forum in future :grumpy:

As for your question, I offer you a hint: what is the temperature at which ice and water exists at thermal equilibrium?

4. May 9, 2008 #3

TFM

Sorry, I htought there was something different:blushing: Feel free to move to 'Homework and Coursework: Introductory Physics' Category.

Would this be at the Triple point, which I is 0.0098 degrees Celcius, 273.1598 Kelvin. This must be the intial Temperature?

5. May 9, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct! :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?