Thermal expansion of a pendulum

In summary, a steal pendulum is considered a clock at a certain temperature. If we submit it to a temperature variation of 1 second every day, it cannot overpass a maximum variation of 23°C.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi,
I've done the problem but I'm unsure of my answer. I would be glad if you could check it out.

Homework Statement

A steal pendulum is considered a clock at a certain temperature.
What is the maximum variation of temperature we can submit to the pendulum if it cannot delay more than one second by day?

Homework Equations

Coefficient of dilation of steal : [tex]11\times 10 ^{-6}°C^{-1}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

First I notice that a period of the pendulum corresponds to a second. Then I calculated the number of seconds in day to be 86400.
Say it delays 1 second in a day and I want to calculate its period. We have that [tex]86400T=86401T'[/tex]. Replacing [tex]T[/tex] with [tex]2\pi \sqrt {\frac{g}{l}}[/tex] then I get that [tex]l'=0.9999768523l[/tex] where [tex]l[/tex] is the length of the pendulum and [tex]l'[/tex] the length of the heated pendulum.
Now I want to find the length it cannot overpass : [tex]l(1-0.9999768523)=0.00002314774628l[/tex].
Looking at the coefficient of dilation of steal, if I heat the pendulum by 1°C, it will grow [tex]0.0000011l[/tex]. From it, I just look and see that I can heat the pendulum up to 23°C more than it is.
To my intuition it looks too much. What do you say?

Physics news on Phys.org
LaTeX Code: 0.0000011l
Is this correct?

According to my assignments yes. However I just checked it up on wikipedia thanks to you. (the page is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_dilatation) and they give a range of [tex]33.0[/tex] ~ [tex]39.0 \times 10 ^{-6}[/tex]. This reduce the temperature I got by 3. So it's around 7°C which makes more sense to me.
EDIT: Ah no! Sorry, it is what my assignment says, around [tex]11\times 10 ^{-6}°C^{-1}[/tex] since we're talking about the coefficient of linear thermal expansion...

Does the equation [itex]\delta l=L \alpha T[/itex] not apply here? Well that is what I thought to use first when you found the extension.

Ah I made a little mistake! The coefficient of dilation of steel is [tex] 11 \times 10 ^{-6}°C^{-1}[/tex].
Quoting myself :
Looking at the coefficient of dilation of steal, if I heat the pendulum by 1°C, it will grow 0.0000011l .
should be
Looking at the coefficient of dilation of steal, if I heat the pendulum by 1°C, it will grow 0.000011l
. With this, the answer becomes 2.3 °C which is the right answer. (I asked the professor).
I'm glad I found my mistake.

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to increase in size when heated and decrease in size when cooled. This is due to the increase or decrease in kinetic energy of the particles in the material, causing them to move more or less and thus changing the overall size of the material.

How does thermal expansion affect a pendulum?

When a pendulum is heated, the rod or string it is attached to will expand, causing the pendulum to lengthen. This increases the period of the pendulum, meaning it will take longer to complete one full swing. When the pendulum cools, it will shrink and the period will decrease.

Why is thermal expansion important in pendulum design?

Thermal expansion is important in pendulum design because it can affect the accuracy and precision of the pendulum's timekeeping. If the material used in the pendulum is not chosen carefully, the changes in length due to thermal expansion can cause the pendulum to gain or lose time, making it less accurate.

How can thermal expansion be minimized in a pendulum?

One way to minimize the effects of thermal expansion in a pendulum is to use materials with low coefficients of thermal expansion, such as Invar or carbon fiber. Additionally, designing the pendulum with a compensating mechanism, such as a pendulum bob with a different material than the rod, can help reduce the impact of thermal expansion.

Can thermal expansion be completely eliminated in a pendulum?

No, thermal expansion cannot be completely eliminated in a pendulum. However, by carefully choosing materials and implementing compensating mechanisms, the effects of thermal expansion can be greatly reduced. This allows for more accurate timekeeping in pendulum clocks and other timekeeping devices.