1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal expansion of water and a bubble

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A scuba diver is 17.4m below the surface of the lake, where the water temperature is 8.25∘C. The density of fresh water is 1000 kg/m3. The diver exhales a 23.6cm3 bubble.

What's the bubble's volume as it reaches the surface, where the water temperature is 15.1∘C?
    2. Relevant equations

ΔV/V=βΔT

I think that is the only equation needed
    3. The attempt at a solution

I would think that i could find ΔV and then plug everything else in but how to i convert the density to cm3? I think once i figured that out id be able to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2
    Are you sure you have not omitted some other details of the problem?

Thermal expansion of water is almost completely irrelevant here. When the bubble is produced, the pressure in the bubble is almost three times atmospheric, while at the surface it is just atmospheric. That alone will have a much greater impact on the volume than the tiny change of density of water.

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    Could this be an ideal gas law question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted