Thermal expansion of water and a bubble

In summary, the question is asking for the volume of a bubble at the surface of a lake, given the diver's depth and water temperature at that depth. The only relevant equation is ΔV/V=βΔT, and the density of water does not need to be converted to cm3. The thermal expansion of water is negligible in this scenario, as the pressure difference has a much greater impact on the volume of the bubble. The ideal gas law may also be applicable in this situation.
nickb145

Homework Statement

A scuba diver is 17.4m below the surface of the lake, where the water temperature is 8.25∘C. The density of fresh water is 1000 kg/m3. The diver exhales a 23.6cm3 bubble.What's the bubble's volume as it reaches the surface, where the water temperature is 15.1∘C?

Homework Equations

ΔV/V=βΔTI think that is the only equation needed

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that i could find ΔV and then plug everything else in but how to i convert the density to cm3? I think once i figured that out id be able to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have not omitted some other details of the problem?

Thermal expansion of water is almost completely irrelevant here. When the bubble is produced, the pressure in the bubble is almost three times atmospheric, while at the surface it is just atmospheric. That alone will have a much greater impact on the volume than the tiny change of density of water.

Could this be an ideal gas law question?

What causes water to expand when heated?

Water expands when heated due to the increase in kinetic energy of its molecules. This increase in energy causes the molecules to move farther apart, resulting in an increase in volume.

Why does water contract when frozen?

When water is frozen, the molecules arrange themselves in a specific pattern, which takes up more space than when the molecules are free to move. This results in a decrease in volume, or contraction, of the water.

How does the expansion of water affect objects placed in it?

The expansion of water can cause objects placed in it to rise or float. This is because the displaced water takes up more space and creates a buoyant force on the object, causing it to appear to rise.

What happens to a bubble when it is heated?

As the temperature of a bubble increases, the air inside it expands and the bubble will grow in size. This is because the air molecules inside the bubble have more kinetic energy, causing them to move farther apart and take up more space.

What factors can affect the thermal expansion of water and a bubble?

The thermal expansion of water and a bubble can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. For example, adding salt to water can change its thermal expansion properties, while increasing the pressure on a bubble can cause it to shrink in size.