Thermal Physics adiabatic and isothermal compressibilty

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving the ratio of adiabatic compressibility to isothermal compressibility is equal to the ratio of specific heat at constant volume to that at constant pressure. The definitions of the compressibility are also mentioned, along with a possible starting point for solving the problem.
mmedrano8
Ok so I found something online but I need to understand this problem

Prove that the ratio of the adiabatic compressibilty ks to the isothermal compressibility kr is equal to the ratio of the specific heat at constant colume, Cv, to that at constant pressure, Cp

Definitions of the compressibility

adiabatic compressibilty ks = (-1/v)(∂V/∂p)s

isothermal compressibilty kT = (-1/V)(∂V/∂P)T

I think we need to start with dS = (∂S/∂T)pdT + (∂s/∂p)TdP

Physics news on Phys.org
mmedrano8 said:
Ok so I found something online but I need to understand this problem

Prove that the ratio of the adiabatic compressibilty ks to the isothermal compressibility kr is equal to the ratio of the specific heat at constant colume, Cv, to that at constant pressure, Cp

Definitions of the compressibility

adiabatic compressibilty ks = (-1/v)(∂V/∂p)s

isothermal compressibilty kT = (-1/V)(∂V/∂P)T

I think we need to start with dS = (∂S/∂T)pdT + (∂s/∂p)TdP
The isothermal compressibility can be obtained directly from the ideal gas law. The adiabatic compressibility can be obtained directly from PVγ=constant.

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its effects on matter. It involves understanding the behavior of particles and energy in relation to temperature and thermal equilibrium.

2. What does adiabatic mean in thermal physics?

In thermal physics, adiabatic refers to a process in which there is no exchange of heat between a system and its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the system remains constant while the volume or pressure may change.

3. What is isothermal compressibility?

Isothermal compressibility is a measure of how easily a substance can be compressed under constant temperature conditions. It is defined as the change in volume of a substance divided by the change in pressure, while the temperature is held constant.

4. How is adiabatic compressibility different from isothermal compressibility?

The main difference between adiabatic and isothermal compressibility is that adiabatic compressibility considers changes in temperature, while isothermal compressibility does not. In adiabatic compressibility, the temperature of the system is allowed to change, while in isothermal compressibility, the temperature is held constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of thermal physics, adiabatic and isothermal compressibility?

Thermal physics, adiabatic and isothermal compressibility have various applications in our daily lives. Some examples include the design of refrigeration and air conditioning systems, the study of heat transfer in engines, and the understanding of thermodynamic processes in chemical reactions.